Vegan Chocolate Chip Ginger Brownies


Chocolate and ginger were born apart, but they are meant to live together--and this is the proof.
I am, again, going to give rave reviews to yet another amazing new vegan cookbook: 1000 Vegan Recipes by Robin Robertson. I believe I own all of her cookbooks, and no, she does not know me, and neither does her publisher. Robin has made my conversion to vegan cooking a true pleasure. I believe you need inspiration to keep your creativity rolling. I believe in that too with my knitting, painting or gardening. I strongly believe in it when it comes to cookbooks. Her cookbooks fill the vegan shelves at Barnes and Noble and Borders--you can hardly miss them. I just could not resist this cookbook--1,000 vegan recipes, come on!

I was inspired to make this when I saw her Ginger Spice Brownie recipe--the book literally opened up to this page! I made modifications to this recipe to suit my own taste. Nevertheless, it worked! I would not start making this until I was sure I had fresh ginger on hand--it is a must!

Vegan Chocolate Chip Ginger Brownies
1 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1/4 cup spelt flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon cardamom
3 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon canola oil
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup sucanat or regular sugar (try to mix these if you can)
3/4 cup chocolate chips
1 " of fresh ginger grated
Preheat oven to 350. Lightly flour and oil an 8" or 9" baking pan. (*If using 9" reduce baking time and watch for doneness). Mix the dry ingredients with the chocolate chips and set aside. Mix all wet ingredients in another bowl--by hand with a whisk and mix it well but there is no need to use a blender! Add the grated ginger. Now, add wet ingredients to dry--mix by hand until moist. Pour into baking pan. In 8" pan, I would bake about 20 minutes--they will start to look done about 15 minutes--but just to be sure, I tested with a toothpick. Let cool. Slice, serve with a sprinkle of powdered sugar!

Comments

  1. Wow! That looks ands sounds so good. I'll have to try. Wonder what would happen if I left out most of the oil??? I'll have to wait a couple of days, since I made cookies today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! This was absolutely delish! We kept it in an airtight container at room temp. I think if you left the oil out and used applesauce, you may be okay, but I will tell you--it tastes just like a giant molasses gingerbread cookie--you may lose some of the moist quality!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment