Vegan Scaloppini with Garlic Mashers


Let me cut to the chase, this meal was simply the best! I have a new inspirational weapon in my cookbook arsenal and it goes by the name of The Conscious Cook by Tal Ronnen. OMG--this dish delights in so many ways, I cannot even begin to tell you. . . but I will. And no little lambs or chickens were hurt making it! If it strikes you that being a vegan means denying yourself the gastronomic pleasures in the world, you are sadly mistaken. (Trust me, I am not a person who could dine on sprouts and grain and beans the rest of my life--so I am glad this vegan world is evolving). This cookbook is an example of what I am talking about--beautiful photos (and that, my friend, makes all the difference!), wonderful vegan meals accompanied by insight and information that you can't help but get in there and cook!
This dish was made with my favorite vegan product: Match Meats chicken (made right here in St. Louis!). If your grocer is not carrying this, ask that they do--it will make trying a new meatless recipe a pure joy. In Tal's book, he made this scaloppini with a product called Gardein "chicken"--I have not found this yet, and really, it is okay, because my Match does a wonderful job. I modified this recipe based on what I know about the scaloppini flavor I remembered in my non-vegan life. Tal's recipe is straightforward, and with its careful direction, you can see where modifications can be made. Thus, this is not a copy of his recipe, but my version, based on his wonderful recipe. I served mine with garlic mashed potatoes and green beans from my garden!

Vegan Scaloppini with Garlic Mashers
1 package Match Meats chicken
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 cup flour--for dredging

Place thawed Match product into a bowl. Mix together the seasoning, then add to Match, being sure you incorporate it all. (*It helps to do this by hand and to oil your hands a bit). Shape into flattened, oval discs about 1/2 " thick. Set aside on a plate.

Heat a saute pan with the oil, do not let it smoke. Take the Match patties and dredge in flour. Carefully place in oil, and let cook on each side about five minutes. Remove and set on a plate with tented foil to keep them warm.

3 cloves of garlic minced
1 shallot diced
1 green onion sliced
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 package of portobello or shitake mushrooms sliced thin
1 cup white cooking wine
1 1/2 cups veggie stock
1 stick of Earth Balance
2 teaspoons of arrowroot mixed with 2 teaspoons water

Heat the oil in a saute pan, then add the shallot and garlic. Cook for about 3-4 minutes, just to warm it up a bit. Then add the sliced mushrooms. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring often. Add the cooking wine, then cook for additional 5 minutes on high heat--allowing it to reduce a bit. Add the veggie stock. Now, slice the stick of Earth Balance in pieces and add a chunk at a time stirring while doing so until all EB has been added. Taste it--you will be amazed! Now, add the slurry of arrowroot and water to the pan, mix well, turn heat to low. This will help thicken the sauce. But, what I found was that it got a bit too thick and I wanted more sauce. So, I added about another 1/2 cup of veggie stock until it reached a consistency I like, without losing the flavor.




Comments