Vegan Roasted Potato and Eggplant Lasagna



Okay, first order of business--Gourmet Magazine is shutting down?! WHAT? I love Gourmet, I just renewed my subscription. . . I am so sad! So now what? What will Ruth Reichl do for a living? I want my Gourmet!

Vegan MoFoReason 6: Because I think cow milk mustaches look ridiculous.

Now on to cooking. To me, nothing smells better than roasting vegetables. Once again, I found myself searching for an exciting meal plan idea around 5 o'clock! New name for my blog: The 5 o'clock Vegan? I am still overcoming my inability to focus from the news I received two weeks ago, however, this week seems to be getting better. I am now on my sixth pattern round of my new sweater--after 4 stops and rips! Four! I knew to stick with it--I really love this new sweater pattern. Reading has been a challenge, too. So I turned to my trustworthy and most favorite author Saul Bellow. I adore him. I am reading Herzog right now (a really old copy of a paperback that I found at my local used bookstore--its pages are yellowed, it smells like oldness)--it is perfect fall reading. It seems so fitting, the man is in grief, he is wanting to write letters to everyone--more on this novel later.

See, I told you, my ability to focus is shot still! Okay, for dinner I created a recipe that has many iterations. It can be literally thrown together in a snap--so easy! It will warm your house, it will be great as a leftover, it would make a great company's coming dish--it used up four of my tomatoes from my garden!

Vegan Roasted Potato and Eggplant Lasagna

2 russet potatoes, cut into thin 1/4" length slices
1 onion sliced
1 eggplant skin on, cut into thin long slices
4 tomatoes sliced
3 garlic cloves minced
8 baby bella mushrooms sliced
1 medium bag of baby spinach
1 shallot sliced
splash of balsamic vinegar
pinch of thyme
S & P to taste or Spike No Salt Seasoning
2 cups marinara sauce (homemade or store bought)
4 tablespoons olive oil
handful of shredded vegan parm./mozz. cheese

Preheat oven to 400. Get out three cookie sheets and line with parchment paper. Prep a 11x7 baking dish with a light spray of olive oil. Lay the sliced potatoes on one sheet brush both sides with olive oil and roast for 15 minutes, remove from oven and set aside. Now, take the remaining veggies, evenly spread over the cookie sheets and spread with olive oil. Top with a bit of your seasonings. Roast for about 15 minutes. Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the sliced shallots and cook about 3 minutes. Add the spinach in bunches, toss well until it wilts. Splash a bit of balsamic over the cooking spinach. Set aside. Layering this dish is completely up to you. I began with a layer of marinara, then potato, then spinach, then eggplant, onion, mushroom--whatever you want. Just end with a topping of the sliced thin potatoes. Bake uncovered for 25 minutes. Remove from oven, top with your favorite vegan cheese and bake another 5 minutes. Allow to cool a bit, then slice and enjoy!

Comments