Vegan Buffalo Chicken-Free Pot Pie (Vegan MoFo Reason Number 13)



Vegan MoFo
Reason Number 13
If you can make, I can make it. . . vegan. No, really I can.

When I say hot, I mean "hot". I am notorious for not being a wimp when it comes to spicy food. Where does that come from? So, dinner with me, if you want hot, please bring your tall glass of ice water. So it was with my Buffalo Chicken-Free Pot Pie. I got some help from my Match Meat friends: http://www.matchmeats.com/. I heart Match. I used their chicken Match for this recipe. Mmmm. I know I've posted at least one other casserole with hot sauce. I am going to probably post more iterations of this fabulous food condiment, maybe it will show up in a cake at some point. The weather here is in the shade of gray. Real good mood enhancer. I am heading out for a good run once this post is up. I need that or a vial of prozac today. I opt for a run.

One of the main reasons I turned to this recipe was for my craving for roasted veggies. So easy. Just throw the basics (carrots, onions, green pepper, celery, garlic) on a baking sheet lined with parchment and let the rest come together. Then season with your favorite oil and herbs and you will think you are in dinner heaven. You will also need a puff pastry. Just for future reference, put that on your weekly check list because it is one of the most versatile food items. . .it's a sin, I swear. I also had to share a picture of my roasted veggies, my cooked hot sauce for my Match chicken nuggets and my final pot pie--not a food magazine photo winner, but you get the idea, right? This recipe is so straightforward, just follow your instincts--use whatever you have on hand. If you have portobellos, use them. Use seitan. Use tempeh. For goodness sake, don't forget the hot sauce!
For the Hot Sauce (keeping it low-cal)
4 tablespoons Earth Balance, melted
1/4 cup hot sauce
Dip your "protein" of choice into this mixture and coat well. Then add to saute of veggies and pot pie sauce (see below).
For the Pot Pie
roasted veggies of your choice cut into bite-sized pieces
a little olive oil
a little seasonings
Preheat oven to 425. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Roast veggies for about 25 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
For the Pot Pie Sauce
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 shallot diced
1/2 cup peas
1/2 cup corn
2 cups veggie stock
1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons hot sauce
s & p to taste
Prep a 2 qt. casserole dish by lightly oiling it (keep oven temp. at 425). Heat oil in saute pan. Add shallots and cook for about 3 minutes. Then, add roasted veggies to this. Add veggie stock, peas and corn and sprinkle with flour and whisk well to combine. The flour will dissolve, just work with it. Now, add 2 T. of hot sauce. Mix your protein mixture into the pan now. Mix well. Pour all ingredients into casserole dish. Then, place puff pastry over this tucking the ends into the casserole (don't let it hang over the edge). Then cut four slits in top to let steam release. Place casserole on a baking sheet to keep it from spilling. Bake for 25 minutes or until top begins to brown. Let cool for about 5 minutes before serving.

Comments