Vegan Corn Chip Cookie (Vegan MoFo Reason Number 14)


Vegan MoFo
Reason Number 14
I am at peace whenever I eat.

Please give this cookie a chance! It combines the sweet with the salty--another match made in heaven if you ask me. Let me tell you how I stumbled upon this recipe. I have mentioned that my mother loved the Amish and their cooking, baking, and what have you. We would visit their farms and their quiet homes lit only by candles and moved only by horse and buggy. She'd say, "See how lucky you are?" And I'd think, well. . . okay, if you say so. Now, as I recall it, my mother did not really spend a lot of time in the kitchen re-creating the homey concoctions found in my collection of cookbooks I have. However, when I am feeling nostalgic, I'll get these books down and think how fun it would be to try to veganize an Amish dish. With the craziness encroaching on me--fundraiser coming up (Sweat-4-Pets), then Thanksgiving, and you know, that OTHER most stressful holiday (and the dysfunction that accompanies this), I take refuge in my kitchen sometimes and just go nuts. It was what brought me to this little gem. This cookie was originally called a Potato Chip Cookie from Marcia Adams Heirloom Recipe cookbook. My grandmother used to make these--they were awesome! Now that I am in mid-life and feeling quite literally like my whole body has been taken over by some wayward hormone eating microbe, I will sometimes have these incredible bouts of clarity and ambition. So, enjoy with me this moment of "clarity" and indulge in trying this recipe! Or not.

Vegan Corn Chip Cookie

2 sticks Earth Balance
1 cup confectioners sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons Ener-G Egg Replacer mixed with 1 tablespoon warm water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
3/4 cup crushed corn chips
1/2 cup pecans
Preheat oven to 350. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. Now, mix the butter and sugar together until creamy--takes about 2 minutes. Then add the Egg Replacer and vanilla mixture to this and mix well with hand mixer. With your hands--add the flour in three separate amounts. Mush together until crumbly. Now add the chips and pecans, mix with hands only, then drop by teaspoon amount onto parchment paper. This makes about 27 give or take, cookies. Bake for 15 minutes or until edges just begin to brown. Remove from oven and let rest for about 2 minutes. Remove from cookie sheet to a cookie rack to cool. Enjoy!

Comments