The Vegan Un-tuna Salad

So, for starters, let me say that I have always been a skeptic. I mean of everything. However, once you've convinced me or won me over, I am done for good. I think, again, that is from being raised in the North, we are just a harder people to win over. So, when I heard and read the many recipes for the "mock" versions of vegan tuna out there, I just said, hmmm. (Like using tofu for it--um, I don't think so.) Well, we were on leftovers for Sunday--the gazpacho. But it needed something else--besides bread. So, I found a few recipes and thought, well, let's try this tempeh one first. This is the best--I mean, how could I know, I am reluctant to try the others, but honestly, this recipe really was delicious, filling and perfect! Try it if you can! I was inspired to make this recipe from this cookbook--its second mention in my blog: The 30-Minute Vegan by Mark Reinfeld and Jennifer Murray. Honestly, I have not had a bad recipe from this book yet!

The Vegan Un-tuna Salad

1 package of tempeh
1 carrot diced
5 dill pickles diced
1/4 of a red onion diced
1 stick of celery diced
2 tablespoon Braggs Liquid Amino Acids
Fresh parsley
1 tablespoon stone ground mustard
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1 garlic clove minced
fresh ground pepper
1 cup vegan mayo
Cut the tempeh into small cubes--like about 1/4 " or smaller. Then place in a steamer basket. Steam it for 10 minutes. Remove and place into a large bowl. Then add remaining ingredients and mix well. Refrigerate for an hour if you can. It will taste better! Serve on bread or on a bed of lettuce with your choice of sides. This was yummy!


Comments