Vegan Chocolate Brownies

When the temperature is above, say, eighty, I am in a pretty lousy mood. Just ask my husband. I am not a fan of the south in July or August. But this year, we were lucky in that July was an unusually cool month here in Missouri. I even had guests in my house. I usually never invite people over in July--we miss a lot being reclusive that way. Well, we are paying for last month in spades right now. I am miserable, sad and prone to crying over just about anything. So, we decided it was movie night. Last night we rented Seven Pounds with Will Smith--I don't recommend this if you are in any sort of frame of mind in which your tear ducts are wide open and super-sensitive as mine were. I was just a wreck after watching this! There was not a non-sad moment in the whole thing, seriously. Intensity abounded. I mean, had to get myself to bed at eight and sedated to stop from crying--that's how bad. Why, you ask, did we not just turn off the movie, because, like a train wreck or car accident, you have to see who is alive, who is better in the end. I get the same way with The Wizard of Oz, it is just difficult for me to not be thrown into movies without my full emotional attention joining me. I will tell you this, from an acting point, Will Smith was amazing.I have been his fan since his Fresh Prince days--he was adorable then, and still is today. Lucky for me, I had made these brownies.


Vegan brownies are a challenge for me. I had the perfect, and I do mean perfect brownie recipe:
The Kathryn Hepburn Brownies--google for it. So I have been trying to find the perfect 'vegan' brownie. I don't think I am there yet, but for all who yearn for chocolate when they are depressed, or not, this recipe sufficed. They were inspired by two books: Sinfully Vegan by Lois Dieterly (I know, I was like, 'diet' is part of her name?)--the frosting came from her, the brownie part came from The Joy of Vegan Baking by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau--I've mentioned this book before.

Vegan Chocolate Brownies
1 1/2 cup sugar--granulated or Florida Crystals
3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 tablespoons of water
2 teaspoons ground flaxseed
1/2 cup water
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/3 cup unbleached white flour
1 cup cocoa powder *this is my change to her recipe, I ratcheted up the cocoa a bit
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup mini-chocolate chips *I also changed here using the mini chips vs. the larger ones

Preheat oven to 350. Oil an 8 x 8" baking dish. Mix the flax together with the water. Then mix the remaining wet ingredients together and set aside--adding to the flax mix. Then mix the dry ingredients together. Add dry to wet, mix by hand, just until combined, okay if there are crumbs in it. Pour into baking dish. Watch the time carefully as I baked them a bit under the recommended time--35 minutes and still, they were cakey. So, I'd bake for 25 next time, and check them for my preferred doneness--which is tacky and very moist.

Frosting
1 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup canola
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup cocoa *again, she says to use 1/6--well, you've seen my profile, I am all about chocolate!
4 tablespoons arrowroot
1/4 cup water

In a small pan over medium heat (but don't bring to a boil)--add the sugar, oil, vanilla an cocoa and arrowroot. Stir constantly. Turn heat on very low, keep stirring--add a bit of water at a time. It will thicken for you. Then, remove from heat and pour on brownies that have cooled at least an hour. The topping will settle down, but after a bit in the fridge.



Comments