Power Outages And Giving Thanks

So, not cool yesterday when the power went out! Not cool at all. . . This got me thinking about the things we take for granted--like the stove. I have a gas stove. When we house hunted, having gas to cook with was more important than say, having two bathrooms--seriously. I was not cooking on electric. Another thing I am thankful for--my laptop and Wi-Fi--OMG, no internet, say what!? There are no explanations from our electric company for being without power for nearly ten hours--no bad weather yesterday either--and thankfully not 110 degrees with high humidity as it usually is in August in this part of the world. Just a big dose of inconvenience. We do have a generator, and I did have to use the "phone a neighbor" line to get help starting it, but once I did have the thing running in my garage, my other neighbor came knocking and displayed grave concern over this matter. My garage is not connected to the house, but it does have a vent in a breezeway that can suck air in from outside--she did not want to find me dead--that's extremely kind if you ask me. Plus, the "phone a neighbor" thing really was no more than getting muscle here to start the stupid thing--he was helpful, however, upon further reflection and upon considering my refrigerator's contents--there was really no point. So, I unplugged it, set candles out and got my booklite and sat on the deck with the wolf pack and read for a bit. So, the third thing I was thankful for was my "vegan" diet. I am in the middle of an area where, most likely, we are in the minority in terms of our eating preference. I think most of the generators we heard yesterday were hooked up to fridges and freezers with last year's "hunting" reserves. ICK!!! I actually worked with a woman once who, after a few days without power came back to work in tears as they had lost "a thousand dollars" worth of food--just she and her husband! I found that incredible, honestly. But again, we are in a part of the country where "things that live outside in the woods" are fair game for some to serve at the table year round. Double ICK!!!

Comments