Frito-Craving Vegan Mexican Casserole


Women all over the world know what I mean when I say, "I just have to have THAT!" I had to drop my plans for dinner last night around four after catching a glimpse of what looked to me like the perfect combo for dinner--Fritos on the menu! I am not a junk food queen by any stretch of the imagination, however, I am very, very easily persuaded--especially when it comes to visual cues. (My husband--who is in marketing--said I was a perfect specimen for people in his line of work, albeit a bit "too" easily swayed). I mean, there are two comedy series for which I can honestly say that their subliminal cues for food (or the actual eating scenes) were so overwhelming that at one point I found myself in the kitchen at eight in the evening making cookies, and THEN, having a bowl of popcorn! Uh, Seinfeld and King of Queens--I love both--if I ever come down with cancer, godforbid, please just plop me up in front of the tv and let me sit from beginning to end and watch back-to-back episodes! The laughing will cure me, and the food I want from watching in the meantime, will certainly keep the weight loss issue at bay! So, at the last minute I come across this dish, think, ummm, how yummy would Fritos be right now. . .
got in my car--it is now 4:30 (absolutely the WORST time to go to the store)--but took my ingredient list with me and came home ready to score a good, spicy dish. You see me making a lot of casserole type of dishes, that is because up North where I am from, nine times out of ten from say, October through early May, there is something in the oven--plus it warms the house--and everything smells so good.

Frito-Craving Mexican Casserole
1 bag soy crumbles
about 18 small corn tortillas
3 tablespoons canola oil
1/2 large onion diced
2 cloves garlic minced
1 green pepper diced
1 stick celery diced
1 zucchini diced
1 can pinto beans drained and rinsed
1 can sliced black olives drained and rinsed
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon ancho chili powder
1/2 tablespoon dried cilantro
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
dash of cayenne
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tomato diced
1 can of diced green chiles
1/2 avacado diced
1 can enchilada sauce (red works well)
2 cups shredded soy pepper jack cheese
1 bag of Fritos--about two cups crushed and set aside in a bowl

Preheat oven to 375. Oil a casserole dish--I used one size down from 9 x 13. Warm a large skillet with the oil. Add onion, garlic and pepper, saute for about four minutes. Add the remaining ingredients up to the tomato (save that for topping!). Cook for about ten minutes--or less if you are pressed for time. For the casserole: layer of red sauce, six tortillas, then veggie mixture, then a half cup of cheese--repeat. In between layers, spread some of the green chiles around. End with a layer of tortillas, spreading some sauce on top, crumbled cheese and olives spread over the top. Bake uncovered for about 18 minutes. Remove from oven and add crushed Fritos--eyeball it, if you want more--help yourself! Bake another 10 minutes. I served mine with sliced avacado and diced tomato and my favorite, a dollop of Tofutti sour cream!

Comments