Missouri Dog Lovers Take Action NOW! Contact Governor Jay Nixon to Veto Revised Prop B

This is one of our rescued girls who gets to live out her life in our home as one of the family. She is one of the lucky ones. We do not, nor have we EVER considered her: livestock!

Front page news: Missouri bill takes bite out of Prop B. It has come to pass in this state late yesterday afternoon that the will of the people was overturned. Our state just voted to weaken the provisions in voter-approved Prop B which was designed to protect animals from cruelty and abuse by greedy money-grabbing breeders. Dogs living out their entire lives in stacked wire cages on top of other dogs with barely enough room to turn around . . . will sadly remain in those cages if our governor does not veto this bill. (Here is a link to the governor's website.) It actually came down to a debate in which luddites ruled. I could not make this up if I tried. I am more and more beginning to think all that Wide Open Space where the "rurals" live may in fact contribute to delinquency and group think ignorance. Perhaps it's in the water. It's puppies! How can you sleep at night--you just voted to NOT. Help. Puppies! The animal advocates in Missouri will NOT take this lying down, as I'm sure our country brethren would like us to do. Below are some choice statements made during the debate regarding puppies and dogs and why Missouri lawmakers overturned the voter-approved Proposition B:

*Dogs are property.
*Dogs don't have rights.
*Folks in the city pamper their pets, while [we] agricultural people view dogs as livestock. (LIVESTOCK?!)
*If this thing [Proposition B] goes into effect, thousands of people are out of work, they lose their jobs and they lose their investment. (Pardon me while I wipe away a tear and consider that it is JUST those types who practice dog breeding to THAT degree that breeding puppies could support a family business who are probably--no make that most likely--breeding them so fast and so often that NOTHING good could come of it! Nothing.)

That's all I have to say on the matter this morning as I stare into the eyes of our beloved rescue--a purebred, suffering from an illness most likely caused from overbreeding. I've already sent my letter to the governor asking that he please veto this absurdity.

Comments

  1. I sent an email and tried to call, but I keep getting a busy signal. This whole thing makes me sick- especially the fact that they removed the temperature minimum/maximum requirements, which tells me that they KNOW the breeders are letting the dogs freeze in the winter and bake in the summer :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is all so sad and I am so very hopeful the bill gets a veto. If you could not get through to the office, I am sure that is a sign of plenty of others feeling the same outrage. I agree with you, thanks so much for the note. Keeping our fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be waiting to hear what happens with this Bill -- prayers, fingers crossed, whatever it takes. This makes me so, so sad. These sick puppy mills must be stopped.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am totally wish you - people are so screwed up. My fingers are crossed that this turns out for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've since gotten through about 50 times per day. I hope out of state people are calling too- *67 (number blocking) was invented for a reason people... and since all they ask for is the town you're calling in from, it's really easy to find a list of MO towns on line :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I skipped yoga and blogged instead.

    http://getskinnygovegan.blogspot.com/2011/04/jay-nixon-has-been-neutered-bend-over.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment