Sideways Ripples Shawl: Finished! (Going Bread-Baking Crazy for The Farmers Market)

When you knit something for yourself, you hope it's "wearable. . . in public." I'll go out on a limb here and state for the record, "I've worn every single thing I've ever knitted for myself. Somewhere." As for knitted gifts--I don't do that as much anymore. Unless it takes less than a week--okay, maybe two--I've vowed to discontinue the practice of gift-knitting. It's best this way. But this does not include the man sweater I have been knitting for three years for DH. (However, I have vowed to never knit a man sweater again.)  

I knit this shawl for myself because I loved the symmetry. Such a clever pattern: 
Sideways Ripples Shawl by Kyoko Nakayoshi, I Raveled mine here


The yarn choice came about because when I walked into my closet where yarn stash is stored, it was easy: I love teal. I super love brown. They are my vibe. They are now my shawl vibe.
After I blocked this, I loved it even more. There's this moment of incredible satisfaction I get when I lay my finished knits out in front of me on my ironing board, noticing every single stitch, and every single "dropped stitch", too. I have a few in here. However, I am from the school of thought where a dropped stitch ten rows back is NO BIG DEAL and quite FIXABLE. I have found knitting with this mantra has kept me somewhat sane with my knitting pursuits. Anyway, I keep my new shawl folded in my closet next to my jeans--it's a quick grab item for chilly days. 

So for me, I've been what I'd call a bit busy. First there were the vegetable growing classes I taught. Then the knitting classes. (All of which were great fun, a little stressful, but fun nonetheless--plus spreading the love for your own passions never really feels like work, just a little jitter-causing given the public speaking anxiety part.)  But it's only plants and yarn. I put my big girl pants on and survived. Now, I'm baking every week I can for the Farmer's Market nearby to raise money for my gardening club. I love it. 
I mean the baking part. 
I had a system. More like an assembly line. I also had "visions" of myself doing this for a living. 
Every hour or so. 
Pure fantasy. 
But still.
I baked cookies and muffins, too. The other ladies make pies, scones, cookies and jams--our booth is where it's at. Seriously. The volunteers also bring fresh herbs and lettuces to market from the club's garden. It's still early in the farmer's market season, but we've done really well so far. The aroma in the house was insanely bakery-like. Why no candles called, "Bakery" or "Baked Bread"? 

Life this week has been pure relaxing for Dr. Thyme. He's been on vacation. I've tried to keep the drama to a minimum on his account. He's been in the garden with me a lot. Watching. Helping, too. He was outside on the porch this afternoon when thunder came rolling in. I grabbed my camera.
Awww.

Meantime, here are a few garden highlights.




Hope you all have a lovely Memorial Day weekend! 






  






Comments

  1. The shawl is so pretty, and so is the rose and peony. I planted a columbine last year, so this is my first spring seeing it in all its glory. They're really stunning, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! The columbine will spread--I have at least five new plants from one little starter I planted three years ago. Some of the seed went into containers nearby, which I just "let go". I love them, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We bake bread, but you really bake bread! I'm impressed with the volume you're putting out. Fun post - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! It was a big project, trust me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment