I'm a woman, I live in Missouri and I vote. . . Akin

I've let two days pass. Thank god I live in a country where freedom of speech is granted, but never to be taken for granted.

I was appalled to open the paper and read yesterday's headline in the Post-Dispatch regarding the "legitimate rape" comment. No, let me restate that, I was trembling mad. I re-read the piece twice just to be sure I hadn't missed any detail. 

What I cannot come to grips with is this: Republicans can't seem to release themselves from wanting to legislate a woman's body. 

Get out of our bodies.

I make no apologies for being a woman. A strong woman. A woman who was always told by her mother to stand up for her rights. Don't ever be afraid. Don't ever allow intimidation influence your opinions. Stand tall.

 I was a kid who aspired to be an attorney. In grade school, I took pen to paper to write a letter to President Gerald Ford expressing said hopes and--received a letter back! The local paper ran a column about my letter. 

The world I was entering was slowly reckoning with the fact that women were no longer relegated to being second class citizens--submissive "types". My generation would have more choices than any female generation prior.

I don't need to elaborate or dredge up my own personal scars, or explain why I had such a visceral reaction to this unseemly comment. I simply need to vote. And I will. And because we live in a democracy and because other great women before me fought for this right, I will absolutely take the only action I can in the face of this insult. 

As of my writing, an apology has been issued. 

Apology not accepted. 

  



Comments

  1. His comment was so disgusting, but honestly I wasn't surprised when I read that it came from a MO republican- these are the same people who will fight to the death to defend puppy mills and the right to be cruel to those poor dogs :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Akin's statement was bizarre, but what's scary is his general way of thinking isn't so unusual among many on the right these days. Kinda depressing. Anyway, good rant!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment