One Year Ago Today (Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies, Cookbooks and Me)

It was a Sunday afternoon last July when I brought my laptop over to my husband and said, "I think I want to blog." About what, was the next question. I said, "Food, vegan food." And then I added, "And about my life." He cautioned to not get too broad in my quest, but to try to keep it narrower and more focused. Then he put on his "tech support" badge and like an angel, helped me set this baby up. Well, for any of you who've stumbled across my ditherings, you must have figured out by now--"focus" for me. . . not as easy as it may be for someone else.

First things first. I have had a bucket load of "stuff" hit me since first laying claim to my little place in the blog world a year ago. I won't re-live any of it here again, but just in case you want the Cliff's Notes on the matter--here's a bullet point list:
  • Lost my dad
  • Lost a friend
  • Lost part of my face
  • Lost someone to addiction. . . but got them back
There you have it in a nutshell, my past year. A lot of "stuff" happens in a year. It doesn't feel like a year's gone by. (For us Old People, or folks Almost Fifty--time starts to literally fly, trust me young folks out there, just trust me on this one.) The vegan food stuff has been my saving grace through it all. I cannot tell you the amount of relief and distraction (in times of GREAT stress) my kitchen and my blog have been for me. (My husband helps, too--but he also has to leave to go to work). Much of my "pick yourself up by the boot straps" motivation must occur during the ten or so hours he's away. I'm not complaining. I was the one that decided at this stage in my life it was time to step off the corporate role and into a much quieter, homemaker sort of life. I have no regrets, and neither do my gray roots, thank you very much. We have no children on two feet, however, we have many kids on four feet--my posse--they keep me quite busy. My life would be so empty without them.

The impetus for my blog started with a somewhat compulsive collection of cookbooks sitting on my shelves in my kitchen. (And also in the shelves in my basement.) I love cookbooks: old, new, used, borrowed--I just love them. I love their smell, their heft, their typeface, their paper weight, their colorful photos (or not in the case of MOST of my vegan cookbooks--which I think is sad and wrong and if I EVER publish a cookbook, by god, there will be a lot of good looking photos in between its pages). I have never really counted them all. I sort of round up by tens. So last rounding I landed at near two-hundred, but not quite. Though I'm still not sure. I refuse to take accurate inventory. I just know I like the ones I have--be them vegan or not. I donate those that have an "annoying" quality--those that just send me to the moon when I try to cook from them but can't find a blasted thing to even attempt--after about a year of this search and "not find" recipe stuff--a few will end up in the donate-to-the-library pile.

Here's a couple of things you might not know about me yet (again, bullet points for faster reading):
  • I've never sent a text message (my cell phone is over ten years old. Our provider has now decided to drop my insurance coverage from our plan owing to the fact that it is such a relic)
  • I do not Facebook (okay, I have FB'd a few things but then got caught in the black hole that is Facebook and had to look away for fear I'd turn to salt) 
  • I tried to tweet, and I felt ridiculous doing so (I felt ridiculous writing the word "tweet" just now, too)
  • I didn't know what "following" meant when I started this blog. . . I am glad I have followers
I have really enjoyed meeting folks on my blog--the regulars out there. (You know who you are.) I think of all the surprises I've had while blogging, the kindness and kindred spirit I feel with those I've met was the biggest surprise of them all. I am a pretty closed off person otherwise. I guess for a blogger, that might be a common trait. Though I am no expert. I do enjoy being alone. (Another trait I suppose folks who write and blog may share.) I am usually typing this in the most quiet part of my day. . . alone. Today that quiet part of the day happens to be in the afternoon. Most of my posts happen during the quiet of the morning, however.

I didn't think comments would matter to me a whole heck of a lot when I started blogging. I didn't get that part early on. I felt sort of like someone was peeking in here on my cooking stuff if they commented. Almost like, Who is this? Where did they come from? How did they get here? I know that sounds weird. But imagine this if you can. After all, I learned "computer" when most of you out there were learning to go potty. And I didn't set out writing about vegan food to get comments. I set out to do this because of the planetary alignment and because it was the right thing to do at the time. Given my age, this is a much faster way to document life and recipes than getting writer's cramp putting it all in my daily journal. But the comments are a nice plus and over.

I'll sometimes leave comments on other blogs. But often I'll get around to reading a post I like and someone else has made the same exclamation I wanted to make. How many ways can a dish be described as "Yummy"? Would I bore the author with yet one more "Yummy"? So I opt out.

I still stick to the principle that honesty is the best policy on my blog. What you see is what you get. Except for that head shot of me--that's a bit "old"--there's a few more gray hairs and few more wrinkles, scars, new haircut, etc.

So I thought it would be appropriate to end my post today with what I started out with a year ago: cookbooks and chocolate chip cookies. My latest, greatest cookbook find is Good to the Grain: Baking with Whole Grain Flours by Kim Boyce. I had seen this cookbook discussed on Heidi Swanson's blog: 101 Cookbooks (more than once). I was intrigued. I came across another discussion of this cookbook recently and decided it was about time it found a home on my shelf. I am so happy it did!

After reading Kim's introduction and first few chapters, I was more than happy with my purchase. True to its title, there are some whole grain flours going on here--but I challenge anyone "whole grain averse" to not fall in love with first, the photos and second, the absolute best pastry cooking I've seen in a long time. Kim's experience as a pastry chef at Spago and Campanile must have been a magical time. (Though I can say with honesty, I have never been to either place.) The recipes she's culled together here are nothing short of fabulous. The cookbook is divided up by "flour types." How brilliant is that! I won't detail it all out here but just add that I spent both Saturday AND Sunday with this cookbook. Sharing with you here some of the delicious-ness I was able to convert to vegan. First up: chocolate chip cookies--made with all whole wheat flour. I was a skeptic stepping into this one. My vegan changes were that I added 1 tablespoon of applesauce per egg in place of two eggs called for and I used unsalted vegan margerine in place of unsalted butter--and I made a half batch. Everyone whose read my cookie and cake recipes knows that I am a huge fan of the Ener-G Egg Replacer. But for some reason, that was not used for either recipe this go around. The applesauce in place of the eggs worked lovely. (It was a mistake to only make half a batch, they are all gone today--though I did share with the neighbor!) We LOVED these cookies! Look at the photo and tell me you don't see a ton of Yum!

Sunday morning I dove in again and decided I'd try something for breakfast. The cookbook is full of breakfast pastry recipes--isn't that what Sunday morning is all about? Pastry? It is in this house. Sunday it was cornmeal and carrot waffles. Just amazing! I made vegan modifications to this recipe as well, and had to omit her "carrot juice" inspiration--opting for 1 shredded carrot and orange juice plus the zest of an orange and pumpkin pie spice to really carry the flavor on. This is a cookbook that will never end up in the library pile (though I should recommend to my library they carry it).

So there's a year of my life. . . here and gone. I will be yet another year closer to fifty shortly. I count my blessings every day. One being that I started this blog. Okay, and two, that I still love to cook as much as I did a year ago. (There's some other stuff I count, but I'm trying to say good night here.)

Comments

  1. Happy Blogiversary, then. Sounds like a tough, life-changing year. Glad the blog and vegan food sees you through so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrot waffles? I'm sold! I've seen that book in quite a few places, so it's definitely time that I check it out for myself. Those cookies definitely look yummy! (and it looks like I'm the first person to say that.) Congrats on your one year milestone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you get better with age...like wine :P
    embrace it's beauty.

    Funny thing those cookbooks, I have a few, but more and more I rely on the internet for my recipes. I hope one day to have a computer screen in my kitchen that is voice activated...
    "VEGAN CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES"...beep beep
    and wa-la, up comes 50 recipes. haha
    no yucky fingers to touch anything.

    I hear ya about commenting on other blogs...I read the ones I like, and sometimes I come across ones I have never read that are amazing.
    But someone always seems to find them before I do!!ARGH.

    pumpkin pie spice? that sounds awesome!!
    IS that something you made up?

    I love reading your blog it always makes me smile. I am glad your out there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy happy blogiversary. Amazing the things that have happened over a year but I bet you are a stronger person. I can tell from the tone of your post. Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Anniversary. I appreciated this post because I've just started following you, and it is always exciting for me to learn more about the background of bloggers I enjoy. It seems like this has been a year of challenges for you...and I feel you there! We've had a hard year too. Food does amazing things for the body and the soul, and I love the eats that you prepare because they are conscious of both taste and health. Thanks for sharing!
    http://anecdotesandapples.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kelly, happy anniversary. When I first came across your blog this past winter I was amazed at how much we have in common. So I went back and read the blog from day one and yep, we have a ridiculous amount in common! I read a lot of blogs but I think yours is my favorite. Most of the time I feel like I could comment a whole page or two but I don't cause that would be really boring:) I have been MIA lately and I really missed your blog(I have some catching up to do) My husband was on hiatus so we did a bit of vacationing and home improvement. And he is a total computer hog!
    I don't know too much about this computer stuff. Can I be a follower if I don't have my own blog? Is that a stupid question? Probably.
    I also have a ton of cookbooks but you girl definitely have me beat. Whoops, okay I'll shut up now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Blogiversary!! (so they say in bloggie world)I guess I'm even a bit newer to this thing than you are. So glad I found your blog :)

    And I'm always tempted by cookbooks based on whole grains/whole flours....but then again, I'm tempted by a LOT of cookbooks. Don't get me near a bookstore, I can spend hours there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy anniversary! I just started my blog 2 months ago, I hope to be where you are at in a year. Love everything you post and I envy your cookbook collection!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh My! I had a lot of yard work to do so missed catching up with your so very kind comments and notes of Happy B-Day, I am really, really touched by EACH comment you have left. Thank you so very much!

    Hi Carolyn! Thank you so much for your kind words, they mean a lot to me!

    Hey Jeanne! I LOVE anything you bake, so if you take a recipe from this cookbook and give it a try, I am certain I will just go nuts over it and be really happy I already own a copy myself!

    Hi Kirsten! Given that your blog was one of the first vegan blogs I came across when I started down this road, I just wanted to say thank you to you! I love that you are out there, too!

    Noelle! Big hugs to you, too! You always make my day a bit brighter!

    Monet! You are so brilliant on your book blog, I am really honored you stop in and read my blog! I am sorry you've had a tough year, too. Life can happen at warp speed sometimes. Thank you!

    Hi Mihl! Whenever I think about what this blog has brought me, Germany comes to mind! I am still flabergasted at the fact that you live so far away, but have such a closeness about the way you cook and share. I don't know, does that sound crazy? But thanks so much!

    Bonnie Girl! Thanks so much!

    Hey There Veganhomemaker! I am so happy to see your comment! Whew! I was so worried about you! So glad you are back! I mean I seriously was worried! I have to be honest, the little bit that I DO know about the "following" stuff is that--I think it you can follow without a blog--but I don't think you'll have a picture icon, just a shadow-looking one. I really think for my age, I am quite computer savvy--but sometimes I think the train is leaving without me! Thanks so much for stopping by!

    Hi Tanya! I am so glad you found my blog and so happy I found yours, too! I LOVED that video of your performing! You are so talented! Thanks so much for the kind comment and. . . uh, me, too on the bookstore scene--can you tell?!

    Hi Jacklyn! You started a blog--you will love it! OMG--I must check it out--so much to do! Thanks so much for the kind note!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A belated happy blogging anniversary! I'm so glad you decided to blog and share your recipes and a bit of your life with us. This was such a lovely post - and I always love hearing about a great cookbook. I've gone a little cookbook mad myself over the last few years! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. I'm impressed by your cookbook collection! That is awesome.

    Thanks so much for sharing so much about yourself. And happy bloggiversary! It's good to know somebody else who doesn't tweet! Haha.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment