Welcome to Vegan Thyme

There are things I do every day no matter what: age (really, who isn't--and part of becoming a vegan. . . well, it has to do with this crazy thing called aging), sleep (for beauty), kiss my husband (for eternity), love our kids (the canine kids--they need us, we need them), run or walk (for health and sanity), knit (for small motor skill and cool fashion), read (for the love of books and my local library), check the mail (for new friends--banks and utilities really like us), watch the bees (for their discipline--please no emails about bees and honey), garden (for serenity), and eat (for more than anything else--to fill the yen for food).

This blog is mostly about food and being a vegan. I became a vegan this past year--after ten years of being a vegetarian. I am not going to slam anyone for being anything related to food--if you love food, I hope you find some inspiration here. I certainly have been inspired in my cooking by many--both vegans and non. Simply defined, "vegan" is only eating plants--(that will not appear in the OED, for those of you into definitions). I cook every day--I am not a fan of eating out at restaurants--I got very ill and ended up in the hospital with a "food borne" illness six years ago. That's not to say I never eat out, I do, but rarely. Next to being about food, there is gardening. I garden. I grow some of the food we eat. I am not a farmer. This has not been a life long pursuit, but rather an exploration of the "live off the land" and eat local phenomenon taking place. I will share more on my home grown food and its place in our menu as this blog evolves. I love to run--it is a sanity saver. I am a race director for a fundraiser--a 5k/10k and fun walk. I'll talk more about that later. Then there is the reading part. I love to read. I love book stores and my local library. We subscribe to two local newspapers--but I check the New York Times online, too. I knit--fun and frustrating pursuit. If you knit, you get it.

Now, onto food, and my first post officially is on the subject vegan chocolate chip cookies. I love sweets and love to bake--what better place to start!

Comments