Vegan Peach Cobbler with Crunchy Muesli Topping (revamped from the Amish. . . and my new "coloring book" obsession)

 I had two bowls of this peach cobbler last night. First bowl was my test picture (does that one count)? I HAD to eat it or the ice cream would have gone to waste. Second bowl was right before bed. No regrets. I have to tell you peaches are one of my most favorite fruits. When this time of year rolls around and my kitchen counters and fridge are full of summer veggies and stone fruits, I am in heaven. Cobblers are one of those desserts that even a non-baker can master. Using an old passed down recipe from my mother's cookbook collection, this cobbler came together in a snap. 
It's ridiculously simple: eight ingredients. No stand mixer required. 


When I was a little girl, when we had peaches, it was with a bit of cream poured over the top. That's it: dessert. I didn't exactly crave them then. In adulthood, however, the peach became something to adore. I use them in anything I can: my cereal, in my smoothies, in salads and. . . in cobblers.
 If I knew then what I know now of the versatility of this fruit, I think I'd have a been peach farmer.

 Our grandmother was a fruit aficionado. She'd can, she'd jar--peaches, plums, grapes. She grew her own grapes on a trellis along her white fence in the backyard of her duplex in the city! She always wax sealed her jars and I loved opening fresh jars and eating the fruit from under the lids. 
Peaches. Plums. Summer. 
And I don't peel my peaches. That makes no sense to me.
The peach and it's skin is full of wonderful fiber and good-for-you stuff.  
The secret to the recipe is the way it is made: layers--with vegan butter on bottom, then your flour mixture, peaches, muesli topping, then into the oven. 
The flour "floats" to the top of the cobbler creating this crunchy layer.
 Like magic. 
So. Good.
Cobbler before.
Cobbler after. Mmmm.
My mother was obsessed with the Amish. She loved Marcia Adams and her Amish cookbooks and TV show. We'd visit the Indiana Amish communities regularly. (My home state.)
 She'd drag me along explaining all the intricacies of being Amish--as if she'd been raised as such. (Which she was NOT.) 
"Look, Kelly, they have no phones. . . can you imagine?! No electricity either, they get around in horse and buggy. . . aren't you thankful for what you have?" 
To her, it was a magical place, a simpler time and something, I suppose, she'd hope I'd "remember" as I grew older. 
Well, mom. It worked. 
I cherish her Amish cookbook collection.
 I've not been back to Amish Country since.
Maybe later. 
(*Um, electricity and air conditioning are sort of critical to me. Plus, honestly, I have a slight fear of "farm" animals, too. I have no idea why. Horses are okay, but pigs, cows, goats, chickens. Nope.) 
The Amish cookbooks are not the most vegan friendly in the world, but they do throw down some incredibly delicious confections. I love re-creating them vegan-style.
Jump down below for the cobbler recipe.

I've fallen in love with coloring again. 
I colored a lot as a kid. I loved crayons, markers, paint. What kid doesn't?
In high school, I don't remember art class being super influential. Could be a teacher or someone along the way that was inconsiderate of my work. It happens. 
But I took art classes as an undergraduate with a professor who nurtured my talents through her tough criticisms. I loved the class. I still have my work in a portfolio tucked away in a closet. 
She passed away last year at a fairly young age. I went to my portfolio and found the index cards where she wrote her grades and critiques of my work: needs more negative space, great shading, good use of form, try mixing this with that next time.  
 I graduated and life and making money mattered more. 
Art went away.
About eight years ago, I took a beginning water color class. 
I was lucky enough to find an instructor who tapped back into the Bohemian in me.
It was like a re-awakening of a giant.
Art came back.

I ordered and LOVE Johanna Basford's Enchanted Forest Coloring Book, some markers, gel pens and water coloring markers. 
I can't stop coloring and painting. I've made it a morning ritual. 
Just a little color here and there. 
A few quiet moments to myself.
Sunday was a painting, baking, snuggling-with-the-dogs day. 
We love days like this.

Vegan Peach Cobbler with Crunchy Muesli Topping
(*adapted from New Recipes from Quilt Country by Marcia Adams)

1/2 cup vegan butter melted
3/4 cup turbinado sugar
1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 cup oat flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3/4 cup almond milk
4 medium peaches sliced thin (leave the skins on)

topping
1/3 cup muesli
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons vegan butter

Preheat oven to 350. Pour the melted butter into an 8" or 9" inch casserole dish. Set aside. In a medium bowl, sift together all dry ingredients. Set aside. Measure out the milk and set aside. Prepare the peaches. Make the topping in a small bowl--add all ingredients and use your fingers or a fork to mash it all up until it forms small clumps. Now pour the milk into the flour mixture, mix with a fork--the batter will be a bit thin. Then pour this on top of the butter in the dish. Do not stir! Place peaches on top of the batter, then add topping over the peaches. Bake for 55 minutes or until the top of the cobbler begins to brown around the edges. Remove from oven and allow to cool for thirty minutes. Serve over vegan vanilla ice cream for the ultimate experience. Store any left overs in fridge. 









Comments