Pizza Patate by Jim Lahey (Vegan Style)

Super thinly sliced Yukon Gold Potatoes, diced red onion, fresh rosemary, oregano and vegan mozzarella cheese top this perfect slice of heaven! The potatoes are tossed in olive oil and serve as the topping on their own--no red sauce at all--and you won't miss it! My husband thought he'd kick it up a notch and slathered one slice with vegan sour cream handing it to me saying, "It's like a baked potato with sour cream now!"
It was, in a word: delish!

A larger snap shot of the pie--before we dug in and ate the entire thing!

Once the dough finishes rising, it's very thin--but it will stretch over the entire cookie sheet--you have to work with it. I made sure I lightly oiled the dough all over before I put the potato mixture over it--bringing the oil to the edges.

This is how the potatoes will look spread out over the dough. You can see there are several layers--again, very thinly sliced--use a mandolin. I did. I used about five potatoes.

A snowy day--beautiful!
There's a fresh layer of snow this morning--just beautiful! About two inches fell. Waking up on a Saturday morning in the middle of winter to this--it's perfect. I have whole wheat cinnamon rolls on their second rise, just about ready for the oven as I am still madly in pursuit of "All Things Dough" (a new label for VT).

Still also in pursuit of the perfect pizza dough--one that fits both our criteria: thin, chewy inside, crisp bottom crust--our dinner last night was sublime and dough-wise, we hit the mark. The recipe for Pizza Patate (potato pizza) is a traditional style pizza served quite often in Italy, but not as often here--a darn shame! It's the melding of several delectable foods: homemade pizza dough, olive oil, and Yukon Gold potatoes. Last week on thefreshloaf.com--Sam Fromartz shared his version of this pizza which he posted on his website: ChewsWise. I could not take my eyes off this--I had to try it! (My potato cravings do me in every time.) The original recipe comes from Jim Lahey and his new cookbook, "My Bread". If your goal is to have a great pizza--and a homemade dough ready in about two hours--try this. I flavored mine up a bit with oregano, in addition to fresh rosemary and topped it during the last five minutes of baking with some shredded vegan mozzarella. I think the pictures say all there needs to be said.

Comments

  1. This is a carb match made in heaven!!! Seriously, so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This pizza looks absolutely perfect! Pizza patate is one of my favorites. I am still on the lookout for the "perfect" pizza crust recipe, so I will have to give this one a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Trix: Who can resist a carb? A potato?
    It really was so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Monique a.k.a. Mo: Thanks so much!--it was really, really good--and I ate a cold piece the second day. . . still good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Jeanne: Thanks!
    I really, really was impressed--a little worried at first as it was awfully thin. But then, after bake time--perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant! I really feel hungry now and I sure I will try it this weekend.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Carsten @tasteandshare
    food & wine social network

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carsten@tasteandshare: Oh, I am so glad you liked it--I am certain you will love it as much as we did!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment