Vegan Spanish Chicken with Chorizo Mushroom Gravy

I went back to basics with this recipe. I had a few requirements: comfort food, mashed potatoes and some good gravy: Yum! I took the path of least resistance with regard to cooking during the past few weeks because I had a fundraiser to run--my sole distraction for the past month--totally worth it, though. During that time, I was craving sweets so my baking wasn't suffering. But getting dinner on the table, that was tough. I'll admit, I've lost a few pounds in the process. So when I went to the kitchen on Monday after the event and looked at the food on hand and my cookbooks I'd accumulated--I thought it might be best to "ease" back into cooking with a familiar recipe. Look away if you are a non-believer in ever using a Food Network star for inspiration. If not, read on! I turned to Rachael Ray--YES, I did! I've written that I can vegan-ize almost anything. And I can. Rachael is not only cute-as-a-button, but her story of her success is an inspiration to me. Yes, she is heavy on meat--I can work with that by making my vegan substitutions. Don't tell me vegans out there never look to say, Jamie Oliver or Julia Child for inspiration--if you do, I'll call you a liar! I have a ton of vegan cookbooks, and honestly, many lack substance for cooking a "real meal" (and will more than likely end up in my "library donation" pile)--especially as my confidence in vegan cooking grows. Some will stay in my stacks forever. But those relying too much on sub-categories like "bean dishes" and "rice and grain" dishes, well, I'd like to see some heartier "vegan main dishes" (with suggetions for sides because not everyone has the time to build a vegan meal around a separate chapter on sides--just tell me what might work!)--and how about a few color photos once in a while? I guess what I am trying to say is that, look, inspiration can come from a plethora of places--this one came from Express Lane Meals by Rachael Ray. I used Match Meats Chicken to make vegan chicken patties. Use whatever chicken substitute you'd like--but it is a necessity for really taking the Yum factor to a great height! This is a twist on a recipe from the book that hit the spot--it was warm, comforting and tasty. Husband had it for lunch the next day and loved it!

Vegan Spanish Chicken with Chorizo Mushroom Gravy

*a chorizo recipe or soy chorizo--your call (I made my chorizo from scratch: Vegan with A Vengance by Isa has a wonderful recipe for this using TVP--textured vegetable protein)
1 package Match Meats Chicken
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 large portobello mushroom caps sliced thin
1/2 package of cremini mushrooms sliced thin
1 onion chopped
5 cloves of garlic chopped
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon oregano
2 teaspoons paprika
S & P to taste or Spike seasoning
2 cups veggie stock
1/2 cup cooking sherry
3 tablespoons Earth Balance Buttery Sticks
1 tablespoon arrowroot mixed with 2 tablespoons of warm water for a slurry to add to gravy
5 medium yukon gold potaoes, cooked and mashed served with a gob of Earth Balance Buttery Stick
1 avacado chopped for garnish

Prep your smashed potatoes and be sure to have them mashed and ready when this comes together. For the Match patties, thaw the package out. Add whatever seasoning you'd like (paprika, oregano, onion powder, garlic powder, etc--I added some diced red onion also), then shape into patties and cook in canola oil or olive oil for about 5 minutes per side. Set aside and keep warm in the oven. For the chorizo--you should cook this per package directions, or use Isa's recipe. For the rest of the gravy, warm the olive oil in a large saute pan. Add the mushrooms and let cook on medium heat undisturbed for about 8 minutes. Next add the onions, garlic and seasoning, cook until onions are almost transluscent. Now add the cooking sherry and let this reduce for about a minute. Add the chorizo mix--stir to combine. Next add the veggie stock. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and let simmer for about 5 minutes. Now, add 1 tablespoon at a time of the Earth Balance butter, whisking as you do so. Turn the heat down to low. Now, take your arrowroot slurry and add this to the pan. Turn the heat back up a bit and whisk well to incorporate--this will thicken the gravy. Turn heat off and serve over everything on the plate!

Comments

  1. Thanks! It was delicious--I hope you try it (it's even better the next day)! Just be sure to have enough gravy on hand to cover the mashed potatoes!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment