All Souls' Day


Today is All Soul's Day. Time to remember the dead. I am not religious--spiritual would be a better word. However, having been Catholic and having a spiritual side to me, I remember the dead today. I have two people I would like to remember today: my mother and my father. I miss my mom terribly. I miss my father in a completely different way as it was just over a month ago I found him through his obit online (and it had been 19 years since I last saw him). I just received a package from his friends last week which included photos of him, a wooden bird house he had built as well as a hand carved wine caddy (though I do not drink--it is suitable for holding my olive oil and balsamic vinegar bottles). It was a very kind gesture--for these people who don't even know me to have taken the time to send this my way. Of course, it did cause a bit of an emotional upheaval and I went into a tearful state immediately upon my opening this, but at least I now have a part of what he left behind. I chalk it up to another cathartic moment. So today, I remember all over again.

Comments