Perfect Day (minus the thunder, lightning. . . and crutches)

We've been watching all of Elvis Costello's Spectacle episodes on Netflix. I've watched some episodes multiple times. It's a perfect show. It's more like a living encyclopedia of talent, trivia and emotion. Music and records surrounded me growing up--this show is like candy to me. Elvis (incredibly talented in his own right) interviews some of the industry's giants and collaborates with them on several memorable pieces. After Lou Reed died, we watched the episode of Elvis interviewing him. Compelling and sad given this great talent is no longer with us. I was never a punk rocker, per se, (maybe with my eyeliner) but the punk scene certainly heavily influenced my generation. So here DH and I were all caught up in our emotions, listening intently to Lou Reed play Perfect Day, saying to each other, that's us: so many perfect days. Cue the music. 
. . . But wait, there's these damn crutches.   

It was a gorgeous morning yesterday. I'd had enough of this "sitting" stuff. Though every little move around our small house is like moving through an obstacle course, a "workout"--but mostly a few feet here and there, and not enough to keep my heart rate up. I pleaded with DH to please load me up in the car (a production in and of itself) and take me to our favorite trail. This proved fraught with complications.


When we arrived at the park, there was a cool breeze coming in off the river (mind you, I said "breeze" not tornado winds), most of the leaves had been cleaned from the tree branches, blue skies above. Idyllic. There were eerie cloud formations in the distance, but they seemed to be very scattered and not likely to cause any trouble from our vantage point. At least for the brief time we'd be trudging along. Dr. Thyme would walk a hundred feet past me, then would turn around and walk/jog back to me, while I may have covered twenty feet by then, which was fine because that was the point to all this, get me in forward motion on the crutches to rev up the heart.
Me on our Perfect Day.

It was at this very point in the trail, (note the sunny skies and scattered clouds, but I see no "storms" here)--that a gust of wind knocked one of my crutches out of my hands, then our hats nearly flying off our heads and crashing sounds from limbs falling to the ground around us started happening--out of nowhere! Meantime, a woman and man on bikes said we'd best head back to our cars or risk getting struck by falling trees. We concurred and just as we turned around to head back to the car, a thunderstorm--all fire and brimstone-like, and the next thing we knew, we were in a huge downpour. And that's when the adrenaline once again kicked in. DH ran back to the car, though worried sick over anything happening to me, we agreed getting the car closer to the trail head entrance would be best at this point. I probably moved faster than is recommended for someone on crutches. This felt like the longest mile EVER. Cracks of thunder, blinding rain and my aluminum crutches: Holy Crap! By this point I was just completely annoyed by life in general. 

When we got to the car, another couple who'd come out for a run on the trail were trapped under the awning of the park directory. I hollered through the downpour for them to jump in the car with us and that we'd take them back to their car--there was a bit of "are you sure", "we don't want to trouble you" and then finally, "okay, sure, we'd appreciate that" before all four of us were in the car. Safe. Shocked a bit at the unexpected nature of this cloudburst. What the heck just happened? Then my sister began texting me. "Tornado warnings in Chicago." WHAT? Then, "Evacuating Soldier Field". OMG? She and I both fear storms more than is probably normal. Our home was struck by lightening twice when we were growing up. TWICE. Lucky for us, our current home and trees were spared any damage yesterday. Others in the area and throughout the Midwest weren't so fortunate. My heart just breaks to hear of people injured and made homeless--more so now it seems given my own circumstance. 

We finally made it home safely. Albeit a little rattled. I settled in for an hour of Pilates floor exercises. I have half a dozen Kathy Smith and Denise Austin Pilates workouts in the DVD collection. They'll be incredibly helpful to me during my recovery: balance and core strength. I'll be incorporating upper body training on a chair as well, and meditation and breathing exercises, too. Still worried about my cardio, but will just have to re-train when January comes around and I can officially begin short runs again (if all goes according to plan).

Meanwhile, we've made some home adjustments. We brought an office chair on wheels into the kitchen and moved the area rugs off to the side for the time being so that I'd be able to slide the chair across the entire floor from the food pantry to the kitchen counter. Necessity is the mother of invention. I've also lined up the kitchen chairs in such a way that they provide support for me as I work. I was able to prep and ready the dinner last night-leg elevated. Again, DH came to the rescue to finish and clean up, but at least I didn't feel completely useless. Though I will say to get dinner going, I needed two hours more than usual to prep. But I miss my kitchen time and my priority was to be able to work in there bits at a time.  

I slept better than I had the previous four nights last night. It's the boot that's making it difficult to get comfortable. The damn thing is like wearing a block of cement. Yes, I'm lucky no cast, but this thing is as unbearable in my opinion. As are the crutches. 

I have a whole new appreciation for physical challenges. Body and spacial movement. And of the aging process overall. Bones heal thyself. . . Quickly. So I can have more Perfect Days.





  

Comments

  1. Wow! We had strong storms in Indiana, too, but thankfully no damage. It was a wild storm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonnie, I am so glad you all are okay in Indy--that's my home state, and I am very protective of her!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment