Vegan Chicken Noodle Soup with Extra Noodles: Hold the Chicken (Windy City for Windy Sisters and. . . Calling Major Tom)

I was fortunate to have not gotten ill on my short trip back home to visit my sister. At least I have that to be thankful for. Who knew you could get the flu AND have the flu shot, too? Why go through the trouble fear and doubt of getting the damn shot if a month and a half later, you're so sick you can barely muster enough strength to roll yourself over in bed. Why?! I'll take my chances! 

So Sunday afternoon, after calling my doc in the morning and demanding asking for some antibiotics, something--anything!, I took every bit of my zapped energy and got the ingredients on the counter, and into the soup pot, simmering. (Because who else is going to cook for us: Frankie?! as DH and I were both feeling the effects of this 'flu-creep" beginning to take its toll.)

My veganized Chicken Noodle Soup sort of came together based upon what I could reach without falling over. So there's a little bit of everything in here. But without it all: the seasonings, garlic, onions, cabbage, mushrooms and barley, I don't think you'd have much of a soup. And when you think about it, the "old school" chicken noodle soup I remember didn't really have too much in it other than LOTS of noodles and a wee-bit of chicken. So. Here's where the beans came in. Then the barley. Then the turmeric added a beautiful, earthy and almost curry-ish-ness to the soup without it turning into curry. The turmeric color added to the soup made it even more delicious in appearance. It's a keeper in terms of soups. We both loved it and better yet, this recipe makes enough for the next night, too. Because seriously, I wasn't cooking much in this condition.

Awww. I missed Frankie while I was gone. She's now rolling into her Five Month Old Self. Such a big girl. She's in her "snaggletooth" stage. She's loosing like a tooth a day right now. 
(Which is not affecting what her mouth seems to find.)

*So now for the "here's what I did while I was away" portion. If you'd rather skip to the recipe than hear me drone on and on about my time away, please feel free to skip directly to the bottom for the recipe part.

My sister and I hadn't seen each other in almost a year. And to both of us, this seemed crazy. Crazy
Chicago isn't that far away from St. Louis. But it's far enough that it requires some planning in terms of my getting there or her getting here. This time, we felt it would be best for me to get there. To Chicago, then. My home-ish, away from home. Where I go to feel my center, to be around the familiar--the bigness, the steel beams, the L train flying overhead as you shop, and just over your shoulder, what I once considered the biggest body of water I'd ever seen (until the Atlantic Ocean): Lake Michigan. I sooo love Lake Michigan. Can you be in love with a Lake? Chicago is a very pedestrian-friendly city. We must have logged a total of thirty miles all told in walking. 
(That doesn't count the miles I logged on my morning runs.)

It felt good to get away from St. Louis for a bit. Dr. Thyme felt I needed a break, what with the 'baby' and all. Most of all, it gave him a chance to bond with Frankie, too. But it wasn't like I could leave-leave St. Louis really. It was everywhere: news, papers, people talking about it, people asking me about it when they hear "from St. Louis", as if I'd traveled miles and MILES away from here (for crying out loud, it's only a forty minute flight, OR a five hour drive). Regardless, I'd find myself having to discuss the chaos being portrayed by the media and reply to those who'd ask. 

Anyway. Sissy and I had amazing sister time. Her beau joining us (as a native Chicagoan, he provided many a helpful tips on food stuffs, directions for escape and general dude-ness for protection as we navigated the streets at night). There was eating too much popcorn, hanging around too many people, gawking at the decorations, touring the David Bowie exhibit (more in a second on that) and nearly being trampled after trying to escape an anxiety-inducing growing crowd during a parade! Yes--a parade.
Chicago River from the hotel.
The Girl and The Goat Diner (Stephanie Izard's restaurant--Top Chef Season 4's winner)--with a Vegan Option menu! Hooray! I had the Mushroom Burger. 
A. Large. Mushroom. Burger. 
I couldn't finish it. 

In the mornings, I had my quiet time and would go for runs. I ran along Lake Michigan. 
Always hungry, my goal first thing out the door is. . .where will I eat? And then hit this amazing find for yummy pancakes. Best. Post. Run. Breakfasts. Ever. 
If you look across the Lake, beyond the Light House, you'll see the house I grew up in. 
Yes. I ran in my faux-fur hoodie, capris and Asics.
It was a perfectly overcast, misty, sort of miserable Midwest morning. I loved it.
"The River" at night. Only one small complaint. See that ginormous Trump sign emblazoned across the building there smack, dab in the middle. Dammit. No one in Chicago appreciates this overt gesture of, It's MineIt sullies the skyline. I wanted to Photoshop it out, but left it in to show its ridiculousness. 
"The Egg" at Night at Millennium Park.
Chicago's finest. Preparing for the Festival of Lights Parade. Just happened to be "walking by" as they were leaving for the parade route in "formation". Those horses are beautiful and majestic. 
"Bridge Up" over the Chicago River JUST as I was coming back from my run. I couldn't have timed it better if I'd tried. So. Cool. 
(Though it was a little cold to be 'sailing' for my taste.)
Gathering for Festival of Lights Parade down Michigan Avenue. They shut it down
This is where the "anxiety" part sets in. Notions of cheering for the big Parade Floats soon gave way to panicked, deep breathing exercises. But at least we can say we were "there".   
(No, I'm not hailing a cab.)

So David Bowie was in Chicago. Well, actually, he wasn't, but his entire history told through an exhibit at the Museum of Modern Art was. Let me say, as a person who watched Bowie profoundly change the music scene in the 70's and 80's (Dr. Thyme is a huge fan as well and so I brought him back the badessst Bowie t-shirt of all)--I can honestly say, if you can: Go. See. This. 
I added a collectible t-shirt to my already collected Elvis t-shirt (bought at Graceland) wardrobe.  

It took us nearly two hours to walk through it all and yet (there were 400 objects!), when we all met up afterward, we were exhausted and each admitted we hadn't been able to see everything. There was SO much to read, to listen, to follow, to watch. Every single bit of the story of Major Tom: It's there. Those SNL appearances, song lyrics, notes, scribbles, outrageous costumes. (David Bowie is a lot smaller than I thought he'd be--he seems gigantic.)
Me and Sissy and Mr. Bowie.
The Christkindlmarket. Huge. Crowded. Very cool ornaments. But go early if you can. 
*There be lines, and lines and lines.
Til next time, sissy! 
Ox-me

Vegan Chicken Noodle Soup with Extra Noodles: Hold the Chicken

2 onions sliced thin 
3 carrots cut into 1/2" pieces
3 celery stalks cut into 1/2" pieces
10 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 head of cabbage sliced thin
1/3 cup of "quick cooking" barley
1 package fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, sliced thin'
2 quarts vegetable stock
1 can rinsed/drained garbanzo beans
4 cups broken dried linguine pasta noodles (or any other thin pasta noodle you have)
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon ground sage
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
salt and pepper to taste
sliced scallions* (for topping the soup before serving, it's optional)

In a large soup pot, heat about 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil with onions, celery and carrots--add a pinch of salt now, too. Saute this for about ten minutes--or until the onions begin to soften. Add garlic, cabbage, barley and mix in about a cup of the vegetable stock. Mix well, allowing the cabbage to soften a bit. Add remaining ingredients, cover and allow to simmer for about an hour. *Be sure to check to see if more vegetable stock is needed after it simmers for awhile. Remove from heat and serve after it the soup has cooled somewhat.

















Comments