One Week Later (Moving On . . . Counting Blessings)

A week ago yesterday was the accident. We are slowly moving on. I am desperate for my concentration to return. For normalcy. But that may take awhile. Last night was the first full night of sleep I'd had in a week. 

Not only am I grateful to have my husband alive, I am grateful for the kindness of all who left notes and hugs. I may not have responded to each one, but please know, I read all comments. I shared every single word with Dr. Thyme who I know felt better for having read them. I know or have met a few of you--this made your note even more special. Thank you again.

Little things have struck me numb. Like finally doing the laundry Tuesday. I pulled the clothes out of the basket to sort them out and heard little "pings" of stuff hitting the floor. I looked at what I had in my pile and there was the pair of pants he'd been wearing the day of the accident. Inside the cuffs were bits of glass. Tiny bits of glass. The same glass that shattered and flew into his hair.

This morning, getting his coffee ready and reaching for his favorite coffee mug, I discovered it was missing. Then the sudden realization there were some other personal effects still in the car--his jacket, some CDs, a plastic container of road salt in case of emergency, and gardening gloves he and I had used to load our lawn mower into the car two weeks earlier to take in for repair. We left them in the back seat because we'd more than likely be picking up the mower together. Leaving the gloves in the car made sense. Silly, right. Gardening gloves, jacket, road salt? But still. I spoke to the insurance company and asked if they might be able to mail these items to us. They said that could be arranged. 

Besides working with the insurance company and all of its minutiae, sorting through paperwork, keeping a notebook of who I talked to when, taking copious notes throughout (my OCD paired with my anxiety and PTSD--in short, I am a hot mess), we had to also manage through purchasing a car. A not-planned-for car. The perfect storm of yet another round of stress. Neither one of us has the car "gene". Well, maybe I have it a little bit because my step father was a car fanatic. But mostly cars are very utilitarian to us. We had the option of a rental. But truthfully, the fewer people interactions for me right now, the better. 

So we opted to begin the arduous task of car shopping. I am not a fan of car salesmen. That's the best thing I can find to say on the matter. At one point Dr. Thyme nearly had to heed a warning to one guy that if he got one step closer to me and my personal space, he may find himself one limb short. The whole car buying experience has not evolved one iota in TEN years. This both disgusted and disappointed me. I'm waiting for Amazon to get into the car selling business. Seriously. No haggling. No gut wrenching exchanges with people, their lies, their falsehoods. It was adding insult to injury having to deal with this on top of all else. My pit viper self had to emerge. 

We picked up the car yesterday. Of course, we encountered last minute shenanigans being lobbed at us. We were not deterred and plan to deal with said car monsters accordingly. However, now the ball is in Dr. Thyme's court. I had to recuse myself from further contact. For obvious reasons. I. Can't. Stand. One. More. Minute. Of. Stress!

When DH got settled in the new car (actually a "used-new-car"), put on his seat belt, adjusted the seats and mirrors, I watched but wasn't able to breath. I kept asking: Are you okay? Are you buckled in? Is your seat adjusted? Are you too warm? Too cold? Are you in pain? Oh-god-please-protect-my-husband! And he drove off for the first time since last week. 

I hope my concentration returns. As I said, it may be awhile. My kitchen beckons. But I'd like my appetite back, first. My wedding ring flew off my hand yesterday. Went airborne. Crap. Life happens. I know that. And the whole, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger mantra is running through my head this whole time. 

(And not just because of Kelly Clarkson's song.) It's the truth.  






Comments

  1. Kelly, we were out of town and I'm behind in reading my regular blogs. I am so sorry to see this (and I just read your post from Sunday). You got it girl, you know you'll make it thru this, and you are strong. And Dr. Thyme has already made remarkable progress just by getting back in the car (and you are not alone in detesting car shopping if it's any consolation). I'll keep you both in my thoughts and prayers.

    Denise from Eat Laugh Love

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Denise, Thank you so much--your note made my morning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending more hugs your way, Kelly! I can relate to all the stress and desperation of dealing with insurance companies etc. Six months after our accident, the insurance company of the woman who hit us is still processing our claim. It's infuriating, to say the least! But most importantly, we are here to tell the tale. I'm grateful that Dr. Thyme is OK, and hoping that you find the strength to continue navigating the minutiae!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Jeanne! OMG, six months! I do not understand the underbelly of these corporations at all and that is probably a good thing. I really appreciate your note(s)--hugs back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kelly - glad to hear recovery is going well. Accident stress is a bear. My 18 year old drove into a corn field this summer and broke the axle on her car - two feet in one direction was a telephone pole. She was okay, but I still can't drive by that field without feeling my stomach sink. So, I hear you - its a traumatic event and things are defintely going to feel snarly for a while.
    Hang in there.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Cher, I had no idea your daughter had an accident as well! I am so sorry--but soooo glad she is okay. So scary. Thank you as always for your words. (And snarly is right.) Hugs back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm SO GLAD that Dr. Thyme is doing well. I know you will both feel less anxious as time passes. You've been under a lot of stress, but it's all up from here. Know that I'm thinking of you. Go eat some chocolate, Kelly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, Bonnie! Thank you so much--I will be sure to share your note with hubby. Yes--things are on the up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to hear you're approaching normal, although it's still on the horizon.

    Last care we bought we did online. Really! All the major car dealers do this - they have dedicated staff who field online inquiries. Typically they get a salary plus bonus of about $150 per car sold (plus more bonus for volume) as opposed to the commission system regular car salesmen get. You still have to negotiate, but it's a much briefer, less stressful process (at least for us). But this only works if you know what you want - if you want to go out and kick the tires, you still have to go the traditional route. And I don't know if they have this system for used cars.

    Anyway, I hope things will be steadier, if not actually normal, soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi KR, Thanks! Yes, we know about the online part. But the process is still full of human "interaction", bait and hook sort of things. Ick. So I vote for amazon to get in the game!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kelly! I've been trying to comment on this and the last post forever (since I switched to self-hosting I can't use the WP sign-in option, and your blog doesn't have a name/url option)... I was so sorry to hear about the accident, but SO happy that he's safe and home with you. You're both in my thoughts! - Barb@ThatWasVegan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Barb--You are an angel and I thank you so much for the note! I will share with hubby!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment