Indian Spiced Quinoa Patties with Farmer's Market Corn Medley (OMG: It's Raining!)

I wanted to write about these quinoa patties we'd had for over a week now. But the heat had stifled my writerly self to the point of such despair that I'd contemplated shunning "The Blog" for the remainder of the season until my heart and mind could once again muster the strength to put into words food stuff and my ramblings. Then I had that chocolate moment last week and that sort of broke the spell. Thank. God.

We have rain. Finally! And not just a teaser-rain. A real honest-to-goodness gully washer. Deep. Breath. Hubby and I are sitting out in the screened-in porch, and I'm a bit "chilly" so am wearing a sweatshirt! A. Sweatshirt. I am giddy with excitement! Now, I know better than to think this will last. So I pray. . . fall then winter. Fall then winter. My mantra for today and all days from here to eternity.   
Action shot: rain.
Action shot: hummingbird. How cool is that? (Okay it only took a hundred and fifty attempts, but still.) 

The recipe for this lovely little quinoa patty can be had from one of two places. First from a wonderful new cookbook by a blogger I'd not heard of prior to stumbling across his collection of recipes--in the grocery store of all places: Herbivoracious by Michael Natkin. The book is gorgeous in its own right--photos that are cook-inspiring and real--as he states in the introduction: he took the food photos himself. (Being a blogger and one who deals mostly in foodie things--I totally respect that). The recipes offer a spin on amazing veggie dishes, many an exotic flavor and spice included to tempt you to want to get in the kitchen and COOK! Or you can go to Heidi Swanson's version of the quinoa patties at 101cookbooks. Either recipe will put you on the right track. I gleaned inspiration from both for mine. Ultimately, I settled on frying my patties in my cast iron skillet. More and more, my 10" Lodge skillet is my go-to pan. In fact, were I to be stuck on a deserted island and could only take one thing from my kitchen, I'd grab that cast iron skillet in a nanosecond. (Right after I pocketed some chocolate.)

As for the corn ensemble, you can see for yourself what direction I went with. I had just come from the farmer's market and had six ears of corn. I used two of the ears for this stir-fry of sorts. I relied on cumin, coriander, some turmeric, onions, garlic, scallions, squash, red potatoes, jalapenos, fresh oregano and thyme--all with the intended purpose of pushing the corn dish in the Indian flavor direction as I had with the quinoa patties. It worked beautifully. I then topped it off with some sliced fresh tomatoes from my garden and whisked up a vegan mayo/horseradish/lemon sauce for drizzling over the top. So very yummy.

The forecast is for a return to 100 degree days for the next four days. Hard to believe as I sit here in the cool rain. Typical St. Louis. But grateful nonetheless for the break we've been granted today.

  



Comments

  1. Delicious! Now if only you can send some of that rain my way. We need it! I just finished a post about how hot it is! I'm longing for cooler days! These quinoa patties look perfect. Rain or shine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The rain is great! Forgot what the stuff looked like. But our grass is toast - literally - for this year. I've seen recipes for quinoa patties before but never tried it. However, they sound great and the corn was such a nice dish to accompany the patties. But I love anything with Indian flavors. Glad to see you got your daily tomatoes in there - we've eaten some of ours every day for the last 3 or 4 weeks now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wasn't it GLORIOUS to finally get rain?! I just sat and stared at it for the longest time. Thanks for visiting my blog today and making such a nice comment. I love that Carole Walter Coffee Cake book. I also have her cookie book and pie book, and expect to bake something from them when/if it ever cools off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those big afternoon rainstorms! We had a huge one 2 weeks ago that had me in sweatpants, and big sweatshirt and my winter slippers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The quinoa patties look oh so delicious! We had a bit of rain but now it is just muggy and miserable.
    I've read the herbivoracious blog for years and even volunteered to test a recipe from that book= Pineapple fried rice, I think it was.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Monet! Yes, I am going to try to send rain your way--having endured such a long spell, I can only imagine how it looks and feels in TX. As always--good to hear from you and have a wonderful week!

    Hi KR! We forgot, too! And thank you! No one's grass is going to green up this year unless we get five inches or more in a week. I read about people "painting" their lawns green. Seriously? Thank you for the note!

    Hi Pattie! Yes! And you are welcome! I figured you might already own the CW cookbook--I just love her! I would love the cookie and pie books--so far have the cake and coffee cake. And yes, it really does need to cool off--I miss my marathon baking days! Thanks for stopping by!

    Hi TWV! Winter. . . slippers! I love both words together and was just thrilled to have my sweatshirt on!

    Hi Nupur! Thank you! I am so behind the times in my "blog" reading! I know there are literally dozens of other terrific foodie sites I am missing because, truthfully, I am just too easily distracted and find myself in the "black hole" of blog browsing some days! I was lucky to find the cookbook and love it! Mmmm, pineapple fried rice--yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Quinoa patties sound divine. Love that the quinoa cooks so fast that it is fine in this disgustingness we call summer. St. Louis just is rotting!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi GSGV! Sorry to say "Thank You" so late! I appreciate the note and yes, I agree 100 percent with you on the summer--it is killing me and is no fun for our furry friends! This weekend is predicted to "cool down"--let's hope!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment