Chocolate Chip Oat Bran Muffins (Garden Dispatch: 110 Degrees)

Yes. I baked. Out of necessity. Out of the need for comfort, for kitchen time, for sanity . . . for chocolate. It was not a difficult decision for me. This baking moment. I wanted to bake to heal

What's wonderful about being a cookbook lover is that in the midst of all that is awful in the world right now, I need only enter the small space that is my kitchen, place a hand on the spine of a book and therein lies emotional recovery. I chose the path of chocolate for mine.


I sit here now--re-hydrating--after having ventured outside (ever-so-briefly!) to get a daylight photo of said muffins--and a few other shots of what remains of my garden. While, yes, it was during an unrelenting heat index of over 110 degrees that I'd decided I needed this photo of my chocolate muffins AND garden. I now feel like I might have overdone it a bit. A little too hot, perhaps. It will pass. Just my electrolytes talking.  
Recently, I had the pleasure of purchasing The Back in the Day Bakery Cookbook by Cheryl Day and Griffith Day. I adore it! Cheryl was on Paula Deen's, Best Dishes. I happened to catch the episode this past weekend while running on the treadmill. (Of course I watch Food Network when I run!) 

 I love anyone who bakes for a living. I read the Back in The Day cookbook from cover-to-cover. Because, to be honest, when I saw it hit the bestseller list under the "cookbook" category on Amazon (which I check obsessively)--I was, well. . . I was like--WHO are those two people and WHY do they look so dang happy?  

I adapted Cheryl's recipe for her Mocha Oatmeal Muffins and renamed mine because I actually modified her recipe quite a bit. Nonetheless, it was a wonderful recipe to start with and I am oh-so-happy with both my purchase and with these muffins. 

Just a quick tour of what remains of our yard. I'll try not to cry.
This is the hill up to the second level of my garden patch. Nothing but solid packed clay. S-O-L-I-D clay. It will take weeks of rain to undo the damage from this drought. The Mississippi River in St. Louis is receding. Last I heard, it was at two feet. . . two feet! At the recorded lowest, the river was at minus six feet, back in early 1940s, I believe. I have a link to the Drought Monitor page here. This is like nothing I've ever lived through in my Almost Fifty years. I know I keep talking about it. And I know that talking about it won't make it go away--but if you live somewhere with rain and it's only in the nineties--well, count your blessings.  

I've been waking early. Really early. Dr. Thyme and I are both so exhausted at the end of the day with this heat, we've been hitting the hay around nine. I read for a bit before I nod off. I get maybe two pages into my book (I'm reading Toni Morrison's book, Home--love it!) and I am out like a light. As soon as the sun peeks through the drapes, I am up again--wide awake. After I take care of the kids, I head outside. It's all I can do to not turn right around and throw my hands in the air. Instead, it's me, my PJs, the hose and a cup of coffee.The worst summer of my life. One. Day. At. A. Time.
View from the porch--looking over my herb beds. Gardening with raised beds helps in the watering department.  
There are a few happy moments in my garden though. Like this one. A PERFECT tomato. 
For perfect salsa-making. 

But I digress.

Chocolate Chip Oat Bran Muffins

1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour (*use all-purpose if you don't have any of this on hand)
1/3 cup Dutch processed cocoa
1 cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 1/4 cup quick cooking oats
2 teaspoons ground flax seeds
1 tablespoon bran (I used Bob's Red Mill)
4 teaspoons Ener-G Egg Replacer mixed with 6 tablespoons water 
1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons canola oil
1 cup unsweetened coconut milk mixed with 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar (for "buttermilk")
6 oz. instant decaf. coffee prepared (I used Folger's packets)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon chocolate extract (*optional)
1 cup chocolate chips
*extra whole oats for topping the muffins before baking

Preheat oven to 350. Spray two large (or Texas-sized) muffin tins with nonstick spray. Set aside. In a small bowl, prepare your buttermilk mixture with 1 cup of unsweetened coconut milk mixed with 2 teaspoons of vinegar and set aside. Prepare your "coffee" if you don't have any made. (I keep instant coffee packets on hand for moments like this.) In a large bowl, add all dry ingredients--except for chips. Whisk the dry stuff together. In a medium bowl, add canola oil, "buttermilk", egg-replacer and extracts. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix with a spoon until all the dry ingredients are wet. Fold in the chocolate chips. Fill the muffin cups with the batter--a little over half full worked for me. Sprinkle the tops of the muffins with rolled oats. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven when a toothpick inserted in the middle of the muffins comes out clean. Allow muffins to cool in the pan for ten minutes. Carefully remove the muffins from the tin, then cool the remaining time on a cooling rack. Store in airtight container or a cake keeper. If you won't be eating them ALL in one setting, they store well in the freezer in a freezer bag--for noshing any time! 













Comments

  1. Your poor garden! At least the raised beds look fairly healthy. Our tomatoes and jalapeno peppers are about the only things that are really productive at the moment. Oh, and the parsley and the mint - nothing kills mint (ours is in a shady spot). Nice muffins. My wife certainly agrees that chocolate cures everything! She's experimenting at the moment with various melted candy-like things - no baking required. She did a chocolate covered peanut butter cup thingy today that's pretty good. If she's ever satisfied with the recipe, I'll be sharing it. Anyway, it's supposed to be slightly cooler the next couple of days. Slightly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, at least it's almost August which means autumn is just *that much closer*.... Hopefully the drought doesn't continue into winter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed. The drought in Indy is horrible as well. My first tomato is beginning to show color, so there's hope that I'll get a decent harvest. That will help my mood considerably!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi KR: I am happy at least about the tomatoes and glad that your crops are doing well also. I have a "mint" invasion of sorts and have determined the plant to be of an alien species. It grows, remains green AND thriving and all without a drop of water! Nothing comes between me and chocolate--I would love to see the post on the experiments with that peanut butter/chocolate mix! Looks like we have a slight chance for some rain--finally. We'll take what we can get! Thanks for the note!

    Hi TWV: Amen, sister. Amen. Just the word "winter" makes me smile!

    Hi Bonnie: Hooray for the tomato! I know your gardening heart is suffering through this as well. BTW, I loved the post you did on the Salt and Pepper Shaker Museum--what a hoot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am darned impressed by your tomato. I can't grow them like that without a drought so I don't even try. I can't imagine the Mississippi being so low. I still vividly recall The Great Flood of 1993 as I was moving from St. Louis to New Jersey in the midst of it. Some of that water would come in handy now, no doubt!

    Daniela

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope some rain comes your way soon. Our heat finally broke and we have had a couple of good drenchings - although things are still very brown and most of the crops are pretty sad looking.
    Yes, the kitchen is the best therapy & I think cookbooks are for reading just as much as the latest novel :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my gosh those tomatoes are gorgeous! and what delicious muffins! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Daniela: Well, thank you! I have said that exact same thing to my husband--WHY didn't we save all that water from the floods! On the front page of the Post-Dispatch this morning is a photo of a man standing in the middle of the Mississippi River fishing! It's unreal.

    Hi Cher: I am so glad you all got a break from this! I think if it weren't for my kitchen I might have gone insane by now. I have been trying to bake at least once a day here lately--breads mostly--then freezing them for later.

    Hi GFHT: Thank you so much--it is the little things in life right now. So my tomatoes bring much happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Delicious-looking muffins! I can always use a bit of coffee with my chocolate! I hope that you get some relief from the drought soon - your poor garden.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jeanne: Thank you! And me, too--we need rain desperately right about now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Kelly, the muffins look glorious. And I'm right there with you...I bake for comfort, even when it is over 100 degrees out! It looks like your garden is doing better than ours last summer (worst drought in TX history) but I am praying that relief comes your way. It seems like it is much needed!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Monet: I remember watching the stories of the TX drought and thinking with all the rain we get--that could never happen here! We are living the horror of what you all suffered through (and I was sad for you all then). Flour. Sugar. Two must haves right now. Thank you for your note and enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment