My Scorched Garden

If I were to come across this photo, I'd guess it a late-September mid-October shot. Never would I imagine it late June. Never. My beautiful white-flowering hydrangea--just now beginning its bloom. It will suffer through and bloom as much as it can, then begin to slowly die back as if it were October and a chill were on its way. The strain of the heat prompting it to bloom early. That's what plants do--bloom to survive. We take for granted all the work that goes into flowering. It is their desire to live--to go on--that causes the blooms.

This afternoon our county issued a heat warning and fire-burning warning to all residents via the emergency call system they have in place. I saved the message on the machine so Dr. Thyme can listen when he gets home. 

 The temperature is at 108 as I type. The forecast is calling for more of the same for the next seven days (or longer). No rain. We are all praying for rain. I know much of the entire country is under this unimaginable heat--some battling through fire on top of it all. I cannot even begin to imagine. Our hearts are with you. 


I don't recall ever having lived through heat like this in all of my Almost Fifty years--or if I had, it faded into memory somewhere. 

In the mornings, I walk, I survey. The dogs and I go out and walk--but very quickly, and under shaded spots. They are feeling this, too. Ice cubes help. Our kids hate this heat.  

The sprinkler sits idol ("idle"--you know what I meant) now. I am only hand watering at this stage--and briefly. Even this seems futile.

We happen to reside in one of the only counties within the Greater St. Louis area where it is legal to purchase fireworks. The ridiculous red and white topped tents began popping up over a week ago presaging their official day they would begin "Selling!". It sent shivers down my spine. You cannot drive down any major stretch of highway without encountering a bombardment of neon-painted directions (lest you miss your turn!). Some of the stands are separated by a mere few hundred feet. They are everywhere. My despair is palpable. Several municipalities have issued a cancellation of 4th of July fireworks. Thank god. People with common sense.

 I am scared to death when I hear fireworks going off in the evening, thinking, Really
This is my beautiful garden. Suffering. 
The lamb's ears stand tall. The purple cone flower. Both indignant to the heat. I try to plant as much "native" in my yard as possible. But even the native plant species are beginning to show wear. We won't know what makes it and what won't until next spring. 
My precious vegetables. The only saving grace--there are tomatoes on the vines. The plants, so far, seem to be holding up. But for how long, I can't tell. My footpath around the beds indicating the circles I walk during the mornings--during my "inspection".
And this. My favorite flower of all flower: Star Gazer Lily. They were in bloom yesterday morning. I didn't clip any to bring in and put in a vase. I thought it best to leave the pollen tips for the insects that need it to survive. And this afternoon when I looked, they had already begun to die back. One day. That's how long they lasted. 



Comments

  1. oh my gosh 108!! yikes!! i hope it cools off soon! and that lily is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is rough. For as many joys as gardening can bring, it seems like there is just as much heartbreak when nature (or inhabitants of nature) decide to wreak havoc on all your labors. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ladies, Yes. Heartbreak in this heat about sums it up perfectly. My only hope is that if the plants do go dormant early, they will return in spring even more vigorous. It could be worse. But still.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel your pain- I don't have a big veggie garden but I do have a container garden on my back deck and it's not doing so hot (pun intended)... even when I water everyday, the poor things are just getting SCORCHED by the heat. Thankfully it seems the worst of the heatwave is past us (for now), and they're calling for "Significant" rain later this week. That should refresh my crispy lawn and help put out some of our fires, but of course rain is very bad news for the people who live below the burn areas... Anyway, I hope some of the rain makes it your way!! PS- I'm terrified of fireworks right now too. I have the non-emergency police number on speed dial and plan to narc on any neighbors who are dumb enough to set them off this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're in Indy, and while it's horribly hot and we're setting temperature records, it's not quite as hot as it is where you are. We were 104 last week. I planted a new perennial bed this year, and probably half of it won't make it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's been such a tough summer. My wife is watering at least every other day - the flower & veggies. Other things much less. We actually are getting ripe tomatoes now from our single early ripening variety plant - this just happened within the last few days. Tomatoes on one of our heirloom varieties are starting to get orange too (just a few, not all of them). And our cukes are going crazy. And Swiss chard seems to grew anywhere, any time! We're walking early, too. Only way to survive the heat, though because it's not so humid it's not as bad as it could be (but I'm sure the plants would prefer the humidity).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi All, Been taking a vacation from "The Blog" and all things food/garden/etc.--sorry to have not replied earlier. It's the weather and this heat, I am melting. I appreciate the notes (as always!) and know I am not alone in this miserable-ness. Bleh. I wish for snow now. I do keep up with your posts via my blog roll--so nice to read.

    TWV: I am keeping you all in my thoughts--I see the rains are helping some--big hugs to you!

    Bonnie: I thought of your new perennial bed and all that work and what the outcome for you might be--so sad for you and the plants--just know that there is always next year (which is where my heart is at right now because this year is sort of a wash out).

    KR: Since you live within my geography--I know you "get it"--I am literally ready to just yank all the plants up and cover the beds for the remainder of the year, the plants are not taking this heat well at all. My heirlooms all have fruit on them, but none are ripening yet. Maybe next week as the "cool" front comes through--fingers crossed. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment