Diversions And Delusions (There Be Wool: Knitters Unite . . . And Colbert's Feet to Benefit)

It's officially summer. I'm officially ready for winter. So much so that I've begun my "winter knitting"--starting first with a beautiful cowl (the Honey cowl) in Kelly Green--for obvious reasons this color speaks to me. I love, love, love knitting this cowl. The textured pattern is both squishy and fluid--better yet--I can practically manage working it with my eyes closed. It's a simple and brilliant design. Who knew that a mere "wyif" and "p1"  combination could create such a wonderful little experience. It does. It has. 

Evenings I've been curled up in a chair sitting next to Dr. Thyme watching the entire two seasons of Downton Abbey with the honey cowl work in my lap. So happy. So content. We both loved DA. I've never considered myself a Masterpiece gal. Today, I would classify myself in "groupie" status. We are now working our way through another outstanding Masterpiece PBS/BBC production: Sherlock. Whoa. LOVE. IT. Who is that guy? He's perfect as Sherlock.  
One night DH asked, "Are you going to work on my Christmas sweater, too?" To which I replied, "Seriously?" Of course my selfish knitting takes priority over ALL well-intended knitted gifts. I felt a pang of guilt over the matter. But this quickly passed. 
And now, onto knitting. And some news of the very strange and absurd.
For those unaware, the art of knitting is under scrutiny. Big story. Big news. First a disclaimer. I am not an Olympic athlete. Nor do I pretend to be one when I knit. However, if you would like to spend a few minutes laughing yourself silly, might I direct you to the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard: Gawker covers this quite well. As does Mason-Dixon Knitting. At first when I read the Olympic Committee (yes, with capital letters, so you know this is for real) has taken umbrage with Ravelry and its many Ravelympic shenanigans (of the afghan, mitten, sock, hat, scarf, cardigan, and sweater sort)--I thought this was a very funny and clever joke.  What better way to get a knitter's attention than to create a scandal! I love a good scandal, don't you? Sadly, this is real. The OC apparently finds our knitting "denigrates" the Olympics. For those knitters who have the the gall to knit while watching the Olympic games and partake in such groups via Ravelry . . . be aware, be very aware. You are now colluding. And as such, may find yourself in . . . well, in "violation." Please someone tell me this is not really happening. Please. I want to know when the jig is up. In the off chance this whole thing is REAL, (and my fear is that the letter and all its lawyer speak are), I will humbly submit to finally learning to knit real socks. Not the kind that are knit with two different colors of yarn on one needle so I can tell the difference, but honest-to-goodness, wearable socks. For humans. For maybe even Stephen Colbert. But I think knitting some for my husband would have to come first (right after I finish the man-sweater), then socks for Colbert. **UPDATE: The Olympic Committee has since issued an apology. Twice. If THAT doesn't tell you something about the power of knitting folk, well, I don't know what does. I still think I'd like to knit a pair of wearable socks. 
On a completely unrelated venture. We have this little groundhog residing in the back yard. He's the most adorable little thing I have ever seen. I spotted him out back before he had spotted me (they are quite skittish) and quickly but ever-so-quietly ran back inside for my camera. I call him a badger. They can be destructive little critters. But cute beyond words just the same. And as you can see, he is on the "outside" of the veggie patch. 

Here is the latest veggie patch update. It's bone dry out there. I don't water everyday. I try to stick to the rule--an inch of water per week. I want to encourage deep roots on the plants vs. shallow. But the parched ground and lack of water here is stressing everything. I feel sorry for the trees. We had such a beautiful spring. And now. . . this. I have tomatoes on nearly all my tomato plants. No blight or foliage diseases have appeared. . . yet. I attribute this miracle to the fact that the rain we so desperately need has kept nasty airborne mold spores from attacking my plants. While I am very concerned over the lack of rain we've had here (especially given that most annoying of holidays is approaching)--I'm grateful to have such healthy and disease-free plants at this stage of the game. There be rabbits. . . big time. So it looks like, "No Beans For Me". I refuse to stress out over this. They've gotta eat--if I were a rabbit, I'd eat my garden, too.
Veggie patch number two. Corn is up. Kale is up. (I've been juicing in the afternoons: two kale leaves, three carrots, an apple, some dates, celery and grapes--it's a delicious pick-me-up.) Other parts of the patch are "dormant" for now. I ripped up my pea vines last weekend and used my fresh peas in a curry. They were so tasty. I plan to plant a fall crop of peas--when the weather cools. A pain in the neck to shell--all one hundred or so of them, but totally worth it in the end. So while this little garden strip appears to be somewhat "bare" and pretty stark looking--every good gardener knows--you leave spaces open for the "next" crops. Just not sure what exactly that will be yet. This was a garden I had all tomatoes in last year. I rotated the tomatoes to the new beds and gave this one a tomato "break". It works wonders for the soil.
I have to share my pasta endeavor. This weekend I made homemade pasta and TRIED my hand at shaping tortellini. This is the result. Okay, so I won't be heading to Italy any time soon. But still. These were quite good. Here's what I did: I poured a cup of Bob's Red Mill Semolina flour on the kitchen counter, added 1/3 cup of water and a tablespoon of EVOO, and a pinch of salt, then dove in with my hands. No bowls. No food processor. So easy. After the dough came together into a nice little round ball (I sprinkled a bit of water over it as I kneaded the dough)--after all the stickiness subsided, I set the dough in an oiled bowl to rest for and hour, then got my pasta roller out and had a blast. The pasta was perfect. We LOVED it! I am getting quite good at homemade pasta if I don't say so myself. 

And one last thing, because I really have been busy and never really know how or when to "edit" myself on my posts (I guess if you're a regular "visitor", you've figured that out by now). 
My reading diversions are many. My Kindle seems to be attracting more and more books--our library just began offering e-book lending. More for my Kindle! I am nearly finished reading, "A Widow's Story" by Joyce Carol Oates. Loved this book. Loved. It. JCO, as she refers to herself, is by far one of my favorite authors. Ever. I've read nearly all her books. Blonde and The Falls--two of my most favorite books ever. This book, however, is a memoir about the sudden loss of her husband, Ray, and the ensuing days, weeks and months after dealing with the trauma of the event, coping with the grief, the solitude and the onslaught of well-intended acts of support with which she must contend. While JCO does share some darker moments of surviving after the loss of her husband--of navigating the friends, flowers (which will perhaps give you pause the next time you decide to send "flowers" to someone grieving), and many-sleepless nights, she also brilliantly and gracefully lets us into her soul. I felt privileged to read this and better for having done so. 

And one other book I am heading into next right after the JCO memoir is a newbie: Bowling Avenue by Ann Shayne. You might know her from the Mason-Dixon Knitting blog. Bowling Avenue is Ann's new book. I have been reading Kay and Ann's blog for a l-o-n-g time. I love their blog. They've inspired many-a-knittin'-project in this house. As a fan of their blog, I thought it perfectly sensible I'd love Ann's new book. I read the first chapter as a sample and right away was hooked. If you go to Ann's page, you'll find a link there. I am always happy to help a knitting sister out. And, better yet, a writer-knitter sister. 

Meanwhile, let the sock lessons begin. Any tips from fellow knitters--experts in all things socks--I'd totally welcome.





Comments

  1. The ravelympics thing is so funny and sad. There are so many things worth getting mad about and they are wasting their time harassing crafters who are enthusiastic about the games ? Boo.
    Thanks for mentioning Bowling Avenue- I'll have to look for it.
    And you are making me want to run and knead dough for pasta...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Nupur! You are welcome and. . . I couldn't agree more--funny and sad, indeed. There are obviously people within the OC who simply have too much time on their hands. Way too much time! Our pasta night(s) were yummy--got my pasta maker at, where else: Kitchen Conservatory!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That kelly green yarn is BEAUTIFUL! We're suffering from the lack of rain as well- I think today is the only day we wont be in the high 90's for the next 10 days- and no more than a 10% chance of rain any of those days :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi TWV Girlfriend! Thank you! Ugh. I've seen the destruction from the fires in CO. and it breaks my heart. I briefly lived in Denver--I cannot imagine what it must look like in those beautiful mountain areas that suffered. I am hopeful for both of us that this heat and drought stops soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I strongly recommend Stephanie Pearl-McPhee's Knitting Rules! book. She has a great chapter about knitting socks, and it's my go-to way to knit them... and you know how I love to knit socks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bonnie! I have that book, too! But I've never had the nerve to give that chapter on socks and her instructions a chance because I "feared" failure/frustration. However, if that is how YOU learned, I am all over it. *Yes, I do know how you love to knit socks and I can't tell you how many I've looked at (and sighed to myself) about never accomplishing the same. Okay, now I am excited and am going to pull that book from the shelf. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I once tried to knit a potholder (I do believe they are square, right?) it did sort of resemble a sock, so maybe I can be of assistance... I can't believe your resident groundhog appeared the same time as mine did. I suppose he realizes it is so hot here the dogs aren't going out much so safe to stroll through the yard. I pried him out of a dog mouth once so he makes darned sure they are not out and about before he appears. I Googled to see what their lifespan is and it is supposed to be 2-3 average, 6 tops in the wild. In captivity 9-14 years. This one has to be at least 10. That is about how long my garage floor has been caved in in two different places from his tunnels. Living under my garage must qualify as "in captivity." I refuse to fix the garage floor, you know, it's his home under there. Nope, can't do it.

    Daniela

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Daniela! What an incredible coincidence! Maybe the groundhog is OUR totem animal? That story you share is priceless--both of them--potholder AND groundhog! Lucky for our resident badger--our canine kids are leashed when we are on our backyard 'walkabout'--I would just die if I had to "pry" one away from our girls or boy. Oh the horror of that--I don't know how you managed?! I have a whole new respect! This one in the photo--he (or she) is one of two--and we think the "baby"--a newbie, because the other one is much larger and scarier looking--this little one is so sweet. So six years? OMG--caved in garage floor?! Ours live under some huge boulder/rocks--well, at least we think they do. What a riot, your story!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are hooked on Downton Abbey as well! We've only made it through the first season (couldn't find the 2nd season on Netflix!), but we're eagerly awaiting more! I can't offer knitting advice since I've only ever knitted some crude hats & scarves, but I've been considering challenging myself to knit some sort of shawl or bolero. Perhaps the Olympics will be a good time to start. ;)

    Brava on your pasta making experience! Homemade pasta sounds so delicious. I'll have to dive in and try it someday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Olympics organization getting upset about Knitting Olympics is truly strange. Funny in a dark humor sort of way. Our garden is doing well, with the exception of our zucchini - big time aphids. Last year zucchini was felled by cutworms. Think I'm not supposed to grow zucchini? Tons of tomatoes, all green yet (including the early developers). We do water more than once a week - every 2 or 3 days. I figure for plants that are going to be in the ground for only a few months, developing roots isn't a priority - getting good stuff to eat is. But for trees and bushes that I want to stick around for awhile? Yup, I want deep roots on those, so they get watered only weekly (if that). Fun post, as always - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jeanne! We just sent the 2nd season back--so maybe you'll be able to rent it now (LOL!). I am so glad you love it as well--why can't ALL programming/script writing be that good? You might be interested in knowing that there is a nonfiction book regarding the history of Downton--the "real" deal, if you will--apparently there is a lot and I am very curious to know b/c I think that is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. I am on a waiting list to read it at our library! And, if you really get the urge to knit--I began with Stephanie Japel--she has two books out--the first "wearable" I made was from, Fitted Knits, and there is a bolero pattern in it as well!

    Hi KR! You got that right--dark humor for sure. What do they teach in law school these days courses on Intimidating The Knitter? It's caused quite the kerfuffle. Ew. Cutworms. Ewwww. So far the weather and relocation of my zukes have helped in only one regard: I have a ton of blossoms! Me, too, on the green tomatoes--here's hoping for a good crop! I am at a loss with what might make it this summer "tree wise" and what might not--though it is very scary to drive over the Meramec River and see sandbars! Very. Scary.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi sweet friend. Joyce Carol Oates is one of my favorites too. She is amazing. I got to see her a few years ago in Denver, and it was such an honor to hear her read her work. I am also very ready for winter. Unfortunately, we have a ways to go here in Austin! Thank you so much for sharing. Your post made me smile. And let me know if you have any trouble updating your feed with my new site. Hugs and love.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Monet! Thank you so much! I just finished the JCO book two nights ago. Wow. Just wow. She is truly amazing--that you were able to attend a reading of hers. Again, wow! You poor guys down in Texas. Okay, so maybe I should not gripe too terribly much over our heat AND drought we are having--but I truly am not cut out for this at all. And. . . I think I just fixed the blog roll link! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  14. With the hot temperatures we're having, I'm ready for winter, too. Well, Fall at least. My garden is certainly very thirsty! I wanted to let you know I nominated you for the One Lovely Blog Award! http://epicureanvegan.com/2012/06/26/one-lovely-blog-award/
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi EV! Oh, you are too kind and I truly appreciate it (and would totally nominate your blog as One Lovely Blog, too)--I can't tell you how much I enjoy reading your blog and admiring your delicious food and recipes! So glad I am in good company with this "winter-can't-arrive-soon-enough" feeling! Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment