St. Louis Tornado: Tears And Hope

Today is recovery day in St. Louis. Lambert-St. Louis airport is closed and our friends in the northern corridors of the city and county are in recovery mode. There is debris everywhere. Homes flattened, roofs ripped off. There are live shots on the news of people wandering in their roof-less homes picking up pieces of pottery, boxes, trinkets and other memorabilia. It is beyond comprehension. My heart goes out to them. It is all so very sad. 

At the airport, part of the terminals are missing roofs. Cars are overturned. Parts of a major interstate had to shut down owing to trucks being flipped on their sides. Our governor is due here shortly, more than likely to declare a state of emergency.

I've never seen anything like this. So far, no reports of any deaths. It would be a miracle. All week we've endured weather loop after weather loop on the local television stations concentrating on the threat of possible tornadoes and severe storms--where they were likely to hit, when they would hit, etc. Next will come the floods. Mother nature. 

Yesterday, husband and I had an early appointment with the doctor. He spent almost four hours getting tested/prepped for his upcoming procedure. Meanwhile, I headed home to take care of the kids--knowing how terrified they get during storms, and yet again, another major storm was due. The night before I got four hours of sleep, holding two of our rescues, hugging them to help calm their nerves--they have serious storm anxiety issues. Anyhow, not a minute after walking in the door yesterday morning, the skies turned black, and the hail began. Another repeat of what we've seen and felt on and off all week: severe storms. Fear. 

Last night, we sat down for DVD night. I had listened to NPR earlier, heard we were under yet another tornado watch. I had tornado fatigue. My stress level had hit its threshhold. I just could not take another night of storm monitoring--watching storms approaching. I said, "It's in god's hands now." I need a break.

Then, I phoned my sister. She was scheduled to arrive here this afternoon. I wanted to let her know we still had some pretty bad weather coming through, to be sure to check the flight status first thing in the a.m. and that I was looking forward to seeing her. Couldn't wait. Then she said, "Have you seen the reports?" I said, "Reports of what?" She said, "There's a picture of the airport with a rental car van hanging off the parking lot by its two back tires!". "What?!" I immediately ran to the TV, turned on the news and saw firsthand coverage of what we now understand as post-tornado updates.

Those not familiar with tornadoes should understand that a tornado watch is not as severe as a tornado warning. Nevertheless, with our volatile weather system hanging overhead and skies remaining ominous, we ALL have been on edge, on alert for the possibility of tornadoes . . . for this past week. Our local television affiliates have been diligent in their reporting and updating. So much so, that weather radar maps have taken up more time than "regular programming". This probably, no, more than likely, saved lives. 

I've re-booked my sister's flight--speaking with the airline, hedging our bets that maybe, just maybe the airport would open on Monday. We just don't know yet. Dr. Thyme has a business trip planned, and now rescheduled his travel as well. We are all so grateful we here have our home in tact, our dogs safe, and our loved ones safe. Please keep St. Louis in your hearts.  

  





Comments

  1. I will keep you, your family and St. Louis in my thoughts and prayers. I hope your sister arrives safe on Monday and your husbands procedure goes well. It's time for the sun to start shining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, I didn't realize ... I am really glad you are okay but so sorry for everyone who has lost their homes. No words. I hope you and your family continue to be safe. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank goodness that I haven't heard anything still about any major injuries. The loss of homes is devastating in itself. Amazing that a tornado did this, it really blows my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this post. I'm so sorry to hear of all the damage, but continue to hope that there will be no deaths.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment