Ginger, Fig, Black Pepper Spice Loaf with Lemon Glaze (Snow Day Pictures or "How Not to Make Snow Angels with The Kids")

By now most of you have heard of the "Snow My God!" storm that left the Midwest in a lovely shade of white. I love snow more than chocolate and this girl was not about to stay inside. There were snow angels to make and dogs to entertain! All week long the weather heads were saying a "storm" was wandering across the Plains packing a powerful punch, but all we could expect from it would be a light dusting. Well dang it, I thought. Then Friday rolled around and that dusting changed to "minor" accumulation. Then Saturday. . . "an inch to maybe three inches". Now we're talking! I could hardly sleep!

I can feel when a storm is coming. I get this jolt, this super-powered burst of energy just before it hits--I clean like a maniac, vacuum, launder and dust--plus bake like there's no tomorrow and then suddenly it happens: a snow storm.

Within an hour of waking up--I was outside, giddy with excitement, relishing the pure white wonderland (sorry to be so trite, but that's what we had: a wonderland!). I slipped into my L.L. Bean the end-of-the-world-good-to-minus-fifty-degree parka, leashed up the kids and we headed straight for the hill! 
The snow was so bright, she had to wear shades!
Mom, please throw this another eighty times. . . please!
First look after waking up. . .still snowing. Beautiful.
All is calm. All is quiet.
Ginger, Fig, Black Pepper Spice Loaf--good to the last crumb!
I have dodged the proverbial bullet and kept the "fruit" cake away most of my adult life. Shunning it when happy co-workers would wander in with corporate fruity gifts wrapped so tightly we could put them in a time capsule and I'm sure in twenty years, there'd be a discovery of said dessert of the terminal kind. Well, I've grown up and at Almost Fifty, I have to say, "Fruit Cake, come to me now"! (No, Dr. Thyme has not arrived at this same celebratory pause for the FC, but I'm working on him, trust me.)

What can I say about this loaf. Well, for starters, I was introduced to this gem through one of my most favorite bakers of all time: Maida Heatter. I don't think you could even really call yourself a baker without one of her cookbooks on your shelf--she is that much of an institution. Now this loaf: it ain't your grandma's fruit cake "loaf". It's an adult, sublime, long-lasting, flavorful, spicey, yummy, anytime snack. I can attest to the cake's durability--it gets better the longer you keep it under your cake keeper. I had this on the counter for five days. There are whole figs sliced thin, diced candied ginger, and then more ginger, plus cinnamon, nutmeg and the usual spice love. But I felt this loaf needed something extra, something citrus-y, so I added a lemon glaze. I would say if you are a cake freak like me and just need to have some little holiday-ish thing hanging around for those moments when chocolate just won't cut it, you might like this loaf. You could certainly make smaller loafs--but check the baking time well before the hour a regular loaf requires.

Ginger, Fig, Black Pepper Spice Loaf with Lemon Glaze

1 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sifted whole wheat flour (lighlty scoop the flour into the measuring cup--no need to tap down!)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1 cup chopped figs (I used Mission Figs from the dried fruit section at the store)
1/2 cup crytallized ginger chopped to 1/4" pieces
1 stick unsalted vegetable margerine (1/2 cup)
3/4 light brown sugar firmly packed
3 teaspoons Ener-G Egg Replacer (mixed with 4 tablespoons warm water plus 1 teaspoon of canola oil)--in place of the 3 eggs
1/4 cup milk
zest of 1 orange plus 1 tablespoon of the juice from the orange
1 cup chopped pecans (or walnuts, but we like pecans)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil a 9 x 5 inch baking loaf pan. Prep your figs and ginger first--chopping and setting aside. Prep your replacement for eggs next--you could use flax seed or silken tofu for this as well. But I stuck with the Ener-G Replacer for this. Whisk together all dry ingredients and set aside. Next, place the margerine in a medium bowl or bowl fitted with the paddle attachment and beat on medium speed until light and fluffy. Next, add the sugar. Beat on medium speed for about four minutes--really get the sugar incorporated into the margerine. Add the egg replacer mixture a tablespoon at a time and blend until all egg stuff has been fully added. Now, add the milk, vanilla. Next, add the sifted dry ingredients in thirds--and only slightly beat in the dry flour mixture after each addition. You don't want to overmix this. Remove the bowl from the mixer stand and fold in the figs, ginger and nuts. Spread the dough in the loaf pan and bake for about an hour. A knife inserted in the middle of the loaf should come out clean to test for doneness. Remove loaf from oven and allow to cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Then, invert the loaf onto a cake keeper. While the cake is still warm, make the glaze. Take about 1 cup of powdered sugar and the juice of one lemon and whisk together until smooth. Next, poke holes in the loaf with a bamboo kebob stick or with a thin knife. Just do this randomly--it will help absorb some of the glaze. Now, drizzle the lemon glaze over the semi-warm loaf by holding a spoon over it and running it back and forth. If you'd like, spread the rest of the glaze all over the cake. Allow to cool completely before covering and storing. Will keep at room temperature in an airtight container for about a week.










Comments

  1. We were hit pretty hard over here too! My mother was worried we were buried in it! :) It is nice that the sun is out though! Lovely loaf. I bet with some hot tea that comes together beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved seeing all of your snowy pictures! You are just beautiful, by the way. This loaf is chock full of so many spices and delicious ingredients. I am eager to try it. Thank you for sharing this recipe. I hope you are having a beauty-filled afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The snow looks wonderful. We have had a heat wave going on here, I am so jealous. The cake looks delicious but I'm looking forward to the pop tarts.LOL

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment