Fried Artichoke and Mushroom Panini with Garlic Caper Mayo (Bill Clinton:Vegan. . . Are pigs flying?)

We had "panini night" three nights in a row last week. Not the SAME panini every night--I at least changed it up a bit. This one smothered in artichokes was the fave. I added some roasted red pepper, fresh spinach leaves and vegan cheese, with a few thinly sliced red onions, swiped on both sides with this amazing garlic caper mayo, then put them on the stove top grill with my 10" cast iron skillet on top to press--to get the grill marks you see (no, I do not own a panini press--you don't need one to make a panini, okay?!).

Unfortunately, I've reached somewhat of a burnout on all things "kitchen". I'm not saying I don't love cooking still, but you have to realize, we do not eat out. . . like EVER. (Near death experience with food borne illness, vegan, picky, hate crowds, not real fond of people touching my food. . . I could go on.) So this leaves 365 days of meal planning a year for me. I could accumulate every single cookbook ever written--all I'd do is stare blankly at them in a haze when this ailment strikes. I could have the best kitchen, all the latest gadgets and geeked-out foodie appliances, but when the, I'm so sick of cooking I could (you fill in the blank) arrives, there is a hopelessness that accompanies my withdrawl. I am in a despair over it, I really am.

So what does any woman who must feed her man, dogs and self do in such circumstances? Well, sandwiches, of course. God knows I have enough bread dough fermenting in the fridge (thanks to my book: Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day) to feed our entire neighborhood for a week. Even those lovely, sour-doughy gobs of yeasty heaven are not enticing enough. Though just knowing I have at least attempted the art of readying some food stufff does give me a peaceful sort of comfort. But not enough to make me want to charge through the pots and pans whipping up a vegan gourmet meal. I await inspiration. We survive on paninis for now. (Oh, I did manage to whip up one incredible Vegan Crumb Cake for Sunday breakfast. Recipe here soon.) 

There was this little bit of news this weekend that sort of made my day. Our former president, Bill Clinton, has now embraced the vegan life. First thought that came to mind: OMG, has hell frozen over? Seriously. I was stunned. Now that the shock has worn off and that I've Googled the story enough to make sure I am not imagining former presidents becoming vegans--all I can say now is: It's. About. Time! I caught a glimpse of this announcement on Friday as I half watched the evening news, preparing, what else--vegan paninis! I was in complete shock for about five minutes. This man? This dyed in the wool southerner, from Arkansas no less (not that there is anything wrong with Arkansas, one of my best and dearest friends lives there)? This man who made news for his fondness of the "burger"?  

Here's my take on this epiphany. With age comes fear. Fear of dying. Too soon. . . of some health problem that could have potentially been prevented had one only STOPPED eating animals! It's that simple. I wish this conversion were owing to his sudden fondness of baby cows, pigs and chickens suffering through the wicked evils of our food chain. Doubtful. It matters not--what matters here is that one heck of a food leap from one heck of an influential former meat junkie has just taken place. Maybe he can put the vegan challenge to former presidents: Bush 1, Bush 2, Carter and even our venerable current VIP: President Obama! Welcome dear former president! All of our spinach-lovin' hearts rejoice at your arrival!

Fried Artichoke and Mushroom Panini with Garlic Caper Mayo

2 tablespoons canola oil
1 can of quartered artichokes, drained
8-10 baby bella mushrooms sliced thin
1 half red onion sliced thin
couple handfuls of fresh spinach
a few dashes of red wine vinegar
1 roasted red bell pepper (I used the kind in the jar and just patted it dry, then added 1 per to my layers)
favorite sammich bread (I used sourdough)
vegan cheese (Daiya is my choice here--nice melt factor)
a bit of vegan butter for toasting the bread
salt and pepper to taste

This is so easy. Okay, first, prep a medium saute pan over medium heat with about 2 tablespoons of canola oil or olive oil. Add your sliced mushrooms and allow to cook until they begin to shrink a bit and release their juices. (About five minutes--toss them around a bit.) Add the drained artichoke hearts. Feel free to sprinkle with salt and pepper. (I used some Spike seasoning.) Cook the mushroom and artichokes for an additional five minutes or so--the edges of the artichokes will just begin to brown. Now, set up your grill--it should be warmed and ready before you to place your sammich bread on it. Next, assemble your panini. First, swipe each side of bread with a bit of vegan butter on the outside of each piece of bread. Then, on the other side--a swipe of the garlic caper mayo--lay your bottom half of bread on the grill. Then place the mushrooms, artichokes, a handful of spinach and a few red onions, roasted red pepper, a couple dashes of red wine vinegar and top off with a sprinkle of vegan cheese. Place the other half of the bread on top--being sure to swipe with some garlic caper mayo first. Allow to sit and cook on this side for about 4-5 minutes--you want it golden brown. Carefully flip the sandwich over--this will take a big spatula and both hands--BE CAREFUL! The bread can be hot! Use an oven mit! Okay, so flip the panini over so the other side can get nice and golden and have the grill marks. Place the cast iron pan on top of the panini and press it down a bit--giving it that true panini flair! Yum! Cook until other side is nice and golden, too. Enjoy! 

Garlic Caper Mayo

1/4 cup vegan mayo
2 teaspoons capers (drained)
4 garlic cloves chopped
1/2 shallot minced

Place all in a small food processor and blend until mixture is a bit smooth--you still want some chunks in there--so not totally smooth.




  


Comments

  1. I couldn't believe the Bill Clinton news either...but I'm all for more people becoming mindful of their diets! This sandwich would make any meat lover convert! You can't go wrong with fried artichokes. I want some now! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sandwich looks delicious! Thanks for sharing the info. about Bill Clinton--I'm off to google now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just wish Bill would give up fish also. He has stated in numerous interviews that he still eats fish, darn it.
    I know exactly how your feeling about cooking. Yesterday it was 113 degrees in L.A.(but that's just an excuse) and I ended up making sandwiches too! BLTA's, fakin bacon, lettuce, tomato and avocado.
    I havn't emailed you about Freedom yet because I'm torn. I'm trying not to be too judgmental, but one page I like Patty and the next page I'm angry at her. I don't want to say too much and spoil it because I don't know where you are in the book. I'm pretty slow though because I keep falling asleep.lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Monet! Thanks so much for the comment--as usual, you are too kind! I found a link of Bill's interview on CNN last week with Wolf Blitzer (which a link for can also be found at vegan.com). While I am still in shock, he makes an incredible case for the vegan life--albeit health-related, but compelling nonetheless. I hope you give this panini a try, seriously we loved them!

    Hi Bonnie! Thanks so much! I could have easily had this meal for dinner over and over again given my "no cook" state--it was really yummy!

    Hi veganhomemaker! I know, I know. But in all honesty, the simple fact that the news of his "arrival" at eating a better way, i.e., "vegan" has been picked up so much really does do my heart good--us baby boomers should know better and now is the time to stop the madness of eating animals. Okay--your sammich sounds wonderful--BLTA! Yum! Eww, 113--that is awful and I really hope the heat stays away from us--we are finally cooled off. On the book front, I am in the upper 200 pp.--in those parts. I have found that same issue with Patty dear. I still feel he's nailed a woman in a way I have not seen many male authors do or venture to do. This is just my opinion, I am only one reader but--from what I have gleaned so far--she seems just tragic. (I'll try not to write an English paper on the matter here--I already deleted and edited my comment to you!) I've still got half the book to go myself--still very engaging and I do love the book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUMMY sandwich. We both had yummy sandwiches last night with an inspired mayo! I love yours. You should enter it here: http://www.mykitchenaddiction.com/blogging-groups/kitchen-bootcamp/

    More exposure for us vegans!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't eat sandwiches often enough! The weather has been so hot that I haven't baked bread for a while, but I hope to get back to it soon! I know how you feel about the burnout. Paninis like this will definitely get you through, this looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey girl!! Sorry to hear you've got the kitchen blues : (

    They strike us all, I think - even the most ardent cooks. Well, if garlic caper mayo counts as being in a rut, I'm all for it - yummles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so happy to have discovered this post - my bf has a big ol' box of mushrooms in our fridge and no idea what to do with them! Since I'm not a fan of fungus (sorry!) I've been terrible at helping him out... Looks like this recipe is about to save the day! Thanks :)

    PS I had the exact same reaction re: Bill Clinton!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jeanne! Thanks for the note! I am still not over the panini-makin'--but will get my kitchen MoJo back soon--it's slowly creeping back. We're having another HOT weekend--ick!

    Trixie Girl! I think having this blog can sometimes contribute to the cooking burnout. You know--"is this post-worthy", "have I posted enough"--it is all a bit much--which is why I stay under the radar for the most part--I would never be able to keep up and then miss out on getting on with the REST of my life!

    Hi JD! Well, I am so happy I could oblige! Mushrooms are a staple in this house--on hand, all the time! I hope your BF likes this recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment