Vegan Blueberry Crumb Bars (My 30-Day Shred)

Vegan Thyme: Vegan Blueberry Crumb Bars (My 30-Day Shred)
What lead me to create my Vegan Blueberry Crumb Bars was a full-page photo of something much like this I came across in one of too-many magazine subscriptions I get. These are amazingly delish! I added some crushed almonds and oats to the crust to take this up a "healthy" notch. I also reduced the sugar amount by adding a bit more extract flavor. You won't miss the sugar because the awesome-ness of the sweet blueberries brings it on for you.

So I clipped a picture out of something like these and sat it on top of my other fifty or so I-should-make-these-recipes pile I have going. I kept the blueberry bar recipe on top--as a daily reminder that I had something begging to be made. That's how I prioritize those clipped recipes before they head into the three-ring binder. It goes from "Eh, I might make this" at the bottom of the heap, to--"OMG, that looks amazing, I MUST make this!" If I get the recipe into the binder, chances are it could be a year or more before an attempt at the recipe is made. Sad but true. (Don't even get me started on how unorganized my Favorites tab is broken out within "Cooking". That's all I have labeled for food: Cooking. Well, I have a Raw link under there too, but see only about six links for this pursuit, should I ever gather up the strength AND kitchen space to want to haul out nearly all my appliances I own--including dehydrator-- to make something "raw" in the first place.)

I spent all day yesterday working in my yard. Not gardening: mowing. My silent auction distraction kept me locked in the basement, sewing my quilt all last week. (Well I threw together some single lampwork beads for a few bracelets while I was at it. I spent nearly two years in front of a propane and gas torch at a glass studio churning out bead after bead right after I quit the corporate gig. It was fun, it was expensive, too. But I did sell quite a bit--someday I may do a post about my Years-in-Jewelry.)

I was so exhausted by the time I came in for the sixth break during my four hour "lawn-capades"--that I collapsed right in front of the TV with my fourth quart of lemonade trying to re-hydrate after working in 100 degree humidity. (I am taking suggestions for Canadian living re-location spots.)

About the bars. Right about now is the perfect time to get your hands on great fresh blueberry deals. The stores are promoting these like mad! I planted two blueberry bushes this spring. I noticed yesterday something in the "wild" has decided they liked blueberries, too, and the dozen or so berries I HAD are now GONE! I know it takes a year or so for a good harvest. My only hope is that whatever it is that loves them will get full after say, eating a pint's worth and leave the rest for me. By the way, if you should decide to plant your own blueberry bush, please note--plant more than one kind. They need this to cross pollinate and your harvest will be bigger as a result. I can't confirm nor deny this as I have only a month under my belt with them.

I set out to make my Vegan Blueberry Crumb Bars right after my weight-loss-yard work yesterday. I was totally in the mood for something along this line. Especially after mowing past my bare blueberry bushes at least five times--I could not get the things off my mind. So, I made an 8" square pan's worth and ate half the pan in one sitting. Well, I DID mow my acre of semi-mountain terrain in scorching heat--I felt I deserved them. I have no regrets, plus, it fit nicely as my "fruit" with dinner requirements during my Eat-to-Live lifestyle I've embraced. Fruit with dinner. Uh, and dinner consisted of a baked potato.

I've begun working out to "The 30-Day Shred with Jillian Michaels" and must say--I LOVE this DVD workout. I'll just leave it at that--she is an amazing instructor. (I was a certified YMCA instructor so I sort of qualify as someone who can make this assertion.) I think she ranks up there with Denise Austin in my humble opinion. The heat is so intolerable, it's no fun running even if I try getting out before sunrise. It's downright oppressive. I must have walked past this DVD at Target a hundred times thinking: She is so fit, it scares me to even think about attempting one of her workouts. I stand corrected. This DVD works for me on so many levels. First, it's broken up into three levels. I don't like sticking to anyone else's plan--so I jumped in at level one the first day, then level two the second day and so on. I feel great after her workout. I love the motivation, I love her manner of instruction--very easy to follow instruction. So for any of you out there feeling this heat and hating it as much as I do--but missing your good adrenaline pumping runs (and really hate the "dreadmill" at the gym as much as I do)--give her a try--see what you think. Check out the reviews on amazon.com. I am officially a fan. I'm heading into the kitchen for a blueberry crumb bar now. 

Vegan Blueberry Crumb Bars

For the Crust
1/2 cup oats (not instant if you can help it)
1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons slivered almonds (or nut of choice)
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 tablespoons melted vegan butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

For the Filling
1 pint fresh blueberries (try not to use frozen--it won't be the same)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1/4 cup Florida Crystals Sugar
3 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons corn starch
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

For The Crumb Topping
1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
4 tablespoons vegan butter

Preheat oven to 375. Lightly spray an 8" baking pan. First mix your crust ingredients together. Take the flour, oats and almonds and place in a food processor. Whirl a few times using the pulse button (you don't want "paste"--you want crumbs). Pour this into a medium-sized mixing bowl. Then, add the baking soda and ground cinnamon to this and sift together. Melt your vegan butter in the microwave for about 30 seconds. Pour this over the crumb mixture, then press into the bottom of your baking pan. In the same bowl, add your blueberries and then extracts and toss together to coat. Pour these on top of the crust. Next, sprinkle the remaining filling ingredients over the blueberries. No need to toss--just sprinkle as evenly as you can over the berries. Next, in a separate small bowl, mix together the crumb topping. Add the butter, flour and brown sugar and use a fork or your hands to make this mixture look all "piecey"--I find using my hands works best--Julia Child thought our hands were our best kitchen tools and I agree! Spread the crumb topping over the blueberries. Place in oven and bake for about 30 minutes or until the crumb topping is getting brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool as much as possible before digging in! I store mine in the fridge--they are even better on day two! Yum!


  














Comments

  1. These look delicious! I have a box of wild blueberries in my freezer at this very moment...hmmmm.

    For relocating to Canada spots...
    The west coast is very beautiful, especially Vancouver Island. The weather is not hot or cold. Just right.
    Quebec is awesome too...has the four seasons! great food, cool culture, and you get to speak french!!
    The east coast is not very populated, beautiful beaches, and land is inexpensive.
    All in all Canada is a beautiful place...wherever you are :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kirsten! Yeah!!! I just knew that if you saw my request, you'd send help right away! I am serious about this whole love my garden, hate the heat thingy. Every summer we go through this and it gets worse as I approach my 'almost fifty' milestones! So many thanks and I will share with Mr. Thyme and perhaps a real estate agent! (No joke!)

    Hi Jacklyn! Thanks so much--I hope you give these a try--they are totally worth the indulgence!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uhm could this post be titled "amanda's favorite things?". SERIOUSLY! Those bars look insane and I think I'm going to make them and bring them to my father's day gig on Sunday! :) ALSO, Jillian 30 Day Shred is my go-to video for life, can always turn to her on a bad day. Can't wait to hear about that blueberry bush in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I have missed some good posts! This looks so good, so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy you found my blog...because it led me to yours! As a vegetarian, I'm always looking for good vegan recipes, and I've hit the jack-pot here! These blueberry crumb bars look amazing, and I have a ton of blueberries that need to be baked. Thanks also for your sweet words on my book review...I adore Annie Dillard, and I'm going to try and check out Maytrees tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion!
    http://anecdotesandapples.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Amanda! You are too funny! I hope you give the bars a try--they are super yummy, even more so the next day after storing them in the fridge!

    Hi Noelle! Thanks so much! I hope you had fun on your trip!

    Hi Monet! So very happy you stopped by and will be sure to keep up with your book selections down the road!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those bars look fab! I really like Jillian Michaels too. I was working out to her cardio kickboxing stuff and really liked it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment