Vegan Monte Cristo Sandwich with Chive Talkin' Potato And Pea Salad


Anything between bread works in this house. The bread in the Monte Cristo is made luscious by dipping and frying (much like two slices of French Toast.) Key to this is the sauce: a yummy vegan Thousand Island sort  drizzled over the top. The grill marks are a nice touch, and will happen after you have assembled the sammich. Simply grill it, then flip it and viola--a great vegan meal is made!
I had a yen for something with peas. I also craved potatoes. (What else is new?) This is a fast and simple salad but packs a powerful taste punch. My chives are in full bloom and seem to double in size each week! I had to find a way to use these bad boys! I would traditionally use chopped onion in this salad, but the chive situataion warranted my attention last night. My garden peas are not quite ready yet. They are climbing and really getting tall--so I suspect by next week we may be seeing some pea pods. Very rarely do the peas make it into the house, I am too tempted by their beauty and crunch that I just pluck and eat right off the vine!

When I say we love sandwiches, I mean we LOVE sandwiches. This is our second "sammich nite" this week. The traditional Monte Cristo is more like a bistro sandwich. It got its start in Paris or some other place. It's usually carrying ham (eww) and maybe some sliced chicken (eww) with Swiss cheese. You can totally vegan-ize this with plenty of lattitude in what and how you dress it. Topping it with a sauce is a must!
There is something about a gooey mess sitting between two ciabatta slices. And I know I am not in a minority when I say, if it has mayo, it works for me every time. 

Two cookbooks pointed me in this direction last night and inspired me to make my own adaptations: The Joy of Cooking and 500 Vegan Recipes. Now, since both books are the thickness of a phone book and don't hold any photos, I rarely find myself flipping through either for a dinner idea. I try to support vegan cookbook authors--I really do. And I love my vegan cookbooks, but there is a serious lack of photo enticement amongst them. Probably owing to the cost factor for the publishing company. And probably to the lack of it not being a Food Network celebrity creating the meals. (Do we really need another Giada cookbook? I mean, honestly?)  Vegans must get ourselves into mainstream! By the way, we loved this meal!

Vegan Monte Cristo

4 slices of Ciabatta bread (slice it thin sort of)
3/4 cup unsweetened soy milk
1 teaspoon Spike seasoning or S & P
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
dash of hot sauce
3 tablespoons flour

Prepare the bread. Mix all ingredients in a shallow bowl. Heat a few turns of safflower or canola oil in a medium skillet, on medium high heat. Dredge the bread slices one at a time in the mixture. Fry in the oil for about five minutes per side. Set bread aside on a paper towel lined baking sheet.

1 package seitan or homemade (sliced thin)
2 tablespoons safflower or canola oil
1 onion sliced 1/4" thick
3 cloves of garlic minced
6 baby bella mushrooms sliced thin (or whatever mushroom you have on hand)
1 can sauerkraut drained (if sauerkraut is not your thing, shred some cabbage--it will work nicely)
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
slice of vegan cheddar cheeese

Heat oil in large saute pan. Add mushrooms and let sweat for about 5 minutes. Then add onions and garlic, and cook for another 3-5 minutes--let them begin to soften. Next, add the seitan. Cook until the onions and seitan brown around the ends a bit. Add seasonings. Add the drained sauerkraut. Turn heat to low and allow to cook together for about 15-20 minutes. Keep an eye on it and turn it now and then. Now, heat a grill for pressing the sandwich in (your call--if you don't really want to grill the sandwich, that's fine, but I think you'd be missing out.) To assemble sandwich. Lay one slice of cheese on a piece of the bread, top with seitan mixture, then top with sauce. Lay another piece of bread on top. Press down slightly and transfer to a warm grill to heat on both sides for about 3 minutes--or until you see the grill marks.

Monte Cristo Sauce

4 green onions sliced--white and green parts (or two shallots minced)
1 tomato chopped
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1/2 cup vegan mayo
1 teaspoon horseradish
1 teaspoon hot sauce
fresh ground pepper

Place all ingredients in a mini-food processor and pulse until it's blended and looks a bit chunky. Set aside.

Chive Talkin' Potato and Pea Salad 

6-7 medium sized red potatoes, skins left on, sliced 1/2 " thin
1 cup vegan mayo
2 cups frozen peas thawed and drained
2 celery stalks sliced thin
2 garlic cloves minced
1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup chives chopped
1 teaspoon dried dill
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried parsley
Spike seasoning or S & P to taste

Heat a large sauce pan of water with added salt. Boil potatoes until just fork tender--about 20 minutes. Drain potatoes and set aside to cool a bit before cutting into 1/2" inch cubes. In a medium bowl, whisk together the mayo, garlic and seasonings. Cut up the potatoes and place in a large mixing bowl. Pour the balsamic vinegar over the potatoes and toss well to coat. Add the sliced celery and thawed peas. (Be sure to drain the peas well.) Add the mayo mixture and mix it in good. If you have time, put this in the fridge for a bit. But if not, it is fine to eat right away. It makes and excellent leftover salad--so make enough for the next day, too!


Comments

  1. Hi Mihl! This was seriously a GREAT sammich, if I don't say so myself--I think the gooey factor played in it's favor for us! Oh, I don't know what I'd do without vegan mayo!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment