Vegan Coconut Layer Cake (Quilting Bee, Cutting Corners And Oodles of Needles)

Vegan Thyme: Vegan Coconut Layer Cake
I love coconut. My love of coconut in cake form began with the first frozen Sara Lee Coconut Cake my mother brought home and hid in the freezer. My love of coconut in candy bar form began with my first Almond Joy. It was all down hill from there. Then Saturday as I tinkered away on my sewing machine, watching America's Test Kitchen, Christopher Kimball (who can sometimes wear on my nerves) was all agog about their "tested" coconut layer cake recipe and the "perfected" version they'd created--lots of mmmm's and ahhhhh's later, I was in my kitchen whipping this darling up my way: vegan. ATK should be called: Testing And Making The "Best" of Any And All things Bad for You. Seriously, it's not a show I'd recommend to anyone diabetic or on a strict eating regimen.
Vegan Coconut Layer Cake

I had to show the full monty here. This cake screams to either be taken to a wedding or eaten.
We opted for "eating". 
That's what happens when you are almost fifty--hormones rule and guide and you must abide by their calling.

So as you can see from the many diversions I've taken, I still love cake! And damn if I wasn't determined to make that coconut layer cake. My ire was really up when I went to the ATK site only to find some lame "you must give us your credit card number for your free two week trial and view of this recipe plus our millions of others and then we will bill you thirty dollars for a one year subscription after that". And I was like: I. Don't. Think. So.--and found my own cake recipe giving it a very good vegan spin. Oh how I hate the internet games sometimes. Plus being married to a guru in the art of all things computer, (he is very, very savvy and techie) and after consulting him then getting this response, "That is a bunch of BS, don't give them a dime" lecture, I opted to get cake creative in my own way.


Such has been my life as of late. Indoors a lot, fighting the urge to indulge in entire days of
sleeping. And because of this gloomy, grey cast stuff, I find myself clinging to my cup of coffee until noon. It's even impacted my running. I lose all interest in taking to the streets in downpours. I really abhor the gym and will only go with visor on and book in hand, only to sit and stare out the window trying like hell to get in at least three miles of a good run on the "dreadmill". This weather is sucking the life out of me right now. It may as well be February for all I care. But that doesn't stop me from wanting cake.

Since I am on my mid-morning decline right about now, I'll get to the cake recipe and hope that as the week progresses I am not in such a "mood" and will have more to share with you. I mean, I am in a "mood" in the negative here. Cake therapy helps. So does sharing.

The inspiration for this wonderful cake comes to you via Cakes from Scratch in Half The Time by Linda West Eckhardt. I had some serious modifications to make owing to the recipe calling for egg yolks (as most coconut cake recipes call for at least four, some up to six eggs)--I was worried. But fear not. As this cake was being consumed by Mr. Thyme and me Saturday night, he said, "Wow, this is the best white cake I think I've ever had--it is seriously good." And I said, "Yeah, like a wedding cake, white cake good!" And more eating went on. With the layers of toasted coconut gracing the frosting after each layer is added, it is just a ton of yum. I will caution you that this cake is VERY rich! And VERY crave-worthy!

Vegan Coconut Layer Cake

2 3/4 cup sifted cake flour (Measure out, sift, then re-measure. I weighed mine at 4 oz. each cup.)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 tesapoon salt
4 eggs (6 teaspoons Ener-G Egg Replacer mixed with 8 tablespoons warm water)
1 stick unsalted vegetable spread
1 cup soy milk mixed with 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 3/4 cups super fine baking sugar (you can use the regular, but trust me the super fine sugar helps!)
1 cup canned cream of coconut--not coconut milk (reserve the rest for the frosting)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon coconut extract (you need this for sure, so make sure you have some on hand)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly oil with a baking flour spray, three 8" cake pans. Then, cut out parchment paper liners to fit in the bottom of each pan. Spray paper again. In a medium glass bowl, add all the Ener-G Egg Replacer. You will then whip this until it forms peaks. It may not form "peaks" in the traditional sense of peaks, but it will stiffen up. This will take a few minutes to accomplish. Set aside when finished. Next, prep the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Sift together. Next, cream the margerine, and sugar. Next add the extracts and cream of coconut and mix well. Then, alternately to this mixture, add the flour ingredients and then a bit of the soy milk mixture, alternating each. Mix well with blender after each addition. Don't go over board on the mixing, there may be a few lumps, just make sure you have all of the dough wet. Next, fold in the egg white mixture you've made. By folding in I mean, take a spatula and gently fold the egg white stuff into the dough. Divide the batter equally into the three cake pans. Bake for about 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. *Go ahead and start on the frosting. Remove cakes pans from oven. Allow to cool completely in pans. Get your cake keeper out and make sure it's one that will fit in your fridge--this cake is BEST when served cold.

For the frosting and toasting the coconut:

1 stick Earth Balance
1 8 oz. canister of tofu cream cheese
1/8 cup cream of coconut
1 teaspoon coconut extract
3 or more cups powdered sugar
1 bag of sweetened coconut

In a large bowl, mix the cream cheese and Earth Balance together until smooth. Next add the cream of coconut. Blend until incorporated. Add the extract and about a cup of powdered sugar. Blend until the mixture begins to look smoother. Add cups of powdered sugar in increments blending well after each addition. You may find you need to add about four cups of sugar--just use your own judgement. You need to have it sort of stiff for the frosting to hold the cake layers together. Preheat oven to 400. Take the shredded coconut and spread it out on a cookie sheet. Place in oven and only allow to bake like 3 minutes. Mix with a wooden spoon. Then bake again for about another minute. The coconut browns really fast--so don't go watching TV or anything--just stand there and keep an eye on it! Remove from oven and toss it around a bit more allowing it to cool on the cookie sheet. Frosting the cake goes like this. Lay your first layer of cake down, frost it, then take a handful of the cooled coconut and sprinkle it over this layer. Repeat this with the next layer. Then, on the final top layer and sides, really give the cake a good coconut dusting. Take handfuls of the coconut and sort of hold them to the side of the frosted cake. The coconut should stick. Place in fridge for storage. But go ahead and dig in now and enjoy!





Comments

  1. Kelly- the sweater looks incredible! I have yet to make a wearable knitted garment, the size is always wrong :( serves me right for being too lazy to swatch.

    So glad you like my Babette blanket! Funny thing is, I find crochet much easier and quicker than knitting.

    The Kelly Quilt looks wonderful- I am saving up to buy a sewing machine too. Might just try and find a cheap one on Craigslist because it will take me decades to save up for those high-end ones.

    BTW, are you on Ravelry? I love how crafty you are :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nupur! Thanks so much! I would totally trade some time with you and help you get into a "fitted, wearable knit garment" (which you could totally do b/c you, too, are so crafty) for some crochet guidance. I thought the directions for the blanket were very hard to interpret--it may just be me. Otherwise, I will be heading into the knit store this week because my swatch of my square looks "off" somehow!

    I know you'd love sewing and this quilting is going to be addictive! I am lucky I got a deal on my Brother sewing machine at WM so many years ago--it runs like new so far. And what I see them carrying now in the stores I would never buy. Singer sewing machines had some trouble and went bankrupt a few years back so I hear. I am on ravelry, but under my super secret name: kellyknits1 (LOL!). Are you on ravelry? I've seen spinning or yarn dying on your site before, too--I love it! Being "crafty" keeps me sane!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope this cake has helped your "mood!" Maybe you should get a dreadmill for your home for gross yucky days?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trixie Girl, It totally helped my "mood"! I am always a wee bit happier with a cake in front of me! I am afraid to get a dreadmill for home because then we have a new place for me to "hang" stuff on!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All hail the cake queen.

    I wish I could knit like that, I started a scarf about a year and half ago. Its still only half way done. I keep telling myself "next winter it'll be done" :P

    I love how you pile on the icing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I am impressed with your sewing and knitting skills. The only thing I know how to knit is a hat, so I've made a few of those. Oh, and a scarf - that's simple enough for me! I would have no clue how to read a knitting pattern. Your quilt has beautiful colors, by the way. And the cake sounds good too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The garden is looking good. But, your cake looks even better. Beautiful layers, a white, sugary heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kirsten! LOL--you are too funny and thank you for the dubbing of me as "cake queen"!

    Hi Jeanne! Okay knitting a hat is a really big accomplishment! I didn't attempt that until like two years of scarf making!

    Hi Mihl! Thank you and let me share the cake served as a wonderful lunch snack as well as after dinner snack in one day--than I was up the next morning running five miles, of course!

    Hi Vegetable Matter! Thanks so much! My other SFG holds several seeds from you--which is not in the photo! It has been so wet here, I am worried about several of my crops--time will tell. I am so glad you like the cake--yes, white, sugary heaven is a perfect description!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment