Softest Italian Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls Ever with Wickedly Good Vegan Lasagna . . . Channeling Lucille Ball in The Garden at Dusk

Vegan Thyme: Softest Italian Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls Ever with Wickedly Good Vegan Lasagna . . . Channeling Lucille Ball in The Garden at Dusk
These rolls were nothing short of incredible. No, really. There were collective sighs and Mmm's and Ahhh's going on as we took each bite. When we woke this morning, the kitchen still held the sweet, herb-ey, dough-ey aroma from them baking last night. (If I could get Glade to put that into a Plug-In, I know I'd be one rich woman.)
I love lasagna. It's not rocket science. It's whatever you want it to be. I love it even more when I am met with perfect layers of goodness and a nicely appointed tofu ricotta. This lasagna came together without much thought and was inspired by what we had in the veggie bins in the fridge and freezer. (Helpful hint: always have frozen chopped spinach on hand for these last minute moments of lasagna clarity.) For recipe: Take whatever you have on hand and saute, then layer it. To make the tofu ricotta, add two tablespoons of nutritional yeast to a well-drained package of extra firm tofu that you've crumbled in a bowl. Add some garlic powder and onion powder and other Italian-ish seasonings, maybe some salt and. . . layer it in. So easy. I also used a jar of marinara. I just needed easy, but tasty last night.
 I love zinnias and planted some throughout my Square Foot Garden. After another entire day of rain, I stepped outside and was overwhelmed with how gorgeous and green everything looked. Grant it, my mood took a hit with yet another completely sun-less day, but found beauty in the aftermath as I stepped outside my kitchen door.

The cucumbers are a-bloomin'. I can hardly wait. Then, my thoughts wandered to the variety of veggies I'll soon be harvesting and how these little bundles of food might work in, say, a green smoothie! But I don't want to go getting all "hippy-dippy" earth mama on you here, I'm just saying my mind wandered is all.

The countdown to Roma tomatoes begins. How perfect is this little sprout?
Mmm . . . jars of homemade spaghetti sauce.
 
In daisy I trust.

Somewhere between, "OMG, not another day of rain and two more inches of water on my already saturated garden" I looked outside and was overcome with the lush landscape. So I grabbed my camera at about seven o'clock in the evening and began taking these pictures. It was so cool the past few days it warranted slippers and socks and layers. . . Slippers and Socks and Layers Oh My! The weather forecast calls for 90s this weekend and plenty of humidity. If you've ever wondered what it might feel like to live in a swamp, well right about now would be a good time to visit Missouri to find out.  

I've also been contemplating the question of  To Vita Mixer or Not To Vita Mixer. Mr. Thyme thinks I'm having a Lucille Ball  Vita-Veta-Vegamin (or is it Veta-Vita?) moment. I think I just crave a stong-armed kitchen gadget that can also double as a jet engine. I'm heading out today to "take a look". I called Costco yesterday to ask if they had any Vita Mixers in stock. The woman said, Well not right now, sweetie. We don't have 'em unless the road show brings 'em. I'm like, Road Show? What the?! So I looked up a bunch of stuff on such matters of Vita Mixers and Road Shows and sure enough, the deal is this: When the Costco nearest you gets 'em in, you best be running to your nearest warehouse and check 'em out cause that there is the only way you'll be gettin' your hands on one of them there fancy gadgets. (Oh, and might I mention bringing a couple hundred bucks, too? ) Whatever I decide, I will post here first!

So as the "washout" day was closing in on dinner time, I turned to my beloved cookbook: The Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook by Beth Hensperger for guidance in all things dough for inspiration. I craved bread. For the rest of the dinner, I wasn't sure yet. But there would be bread. I came across a recipe for whole wheat dinner rolls and thought this might be just what I needed to perhaps have my last "heat up the house" hurrah before the warm weather settles in. I gave her recipe a vegan twist and then added my own herbs for an incredible smell-sensation. These rolls were by far the best whole wheat delicacy this house has had in quite some time. The odd shape for final proofing worried me and I kept looking back to Beth's instruction to make sure I wasn't having my usual dyslexia moment and could possibly "roll" them incorrectly--short side/long side? After all was said and done--I was completely in awe of the incredible taste and texture. You must have Earth Balance margerine on hand to truly take these to the level they deserve. And I insist you serve them warm.

Softest Italian Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls Ever

3 cups (13.5 oz.) unbleached all-purpose flour (I used my scale for measuring the flour: 4.5 oz.=1 cup)
1 cup (4.5 oz.) whole wheat flour
1/3 cup wheat germ
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried marjoram
2 1/2 teaspoons bread machine yeast

2/3 cup unsweetened soy milk (warmed in microwave to room temp. or 80 degrees)
1/2 cup tofu sour cream (heated a bit in the microwave for about 25 seconds)
1/4 cup agave nectar
3 teaspoons Ener-G Egg Replacer mixed with 4 tablespoons warm water
4 tablespoons olive oil

Follow your bread machine directions for adding ingredients in order specified. Sift all dry ingredients together in a bowl. In another bowl, whisk all wet ingredients together. (My bread machine directions are to add wet ingredients first, then dry, then add the yeast.) Set program for "dough". After machine beaps, remove the dough from the machine and place on a lightly floured surface. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. Cut the dough in half. Carefully roll the first half of the dough into a cylinder about 3 inches wide. Divide the cylinder into eight equal pieces with a pastry cutter. Repeat this with the other lump of dough. Take each cut piece and carefully flatten out to an ovel about the length of your hand. From the short end of the oval, carefully roll the dough up. Place on cookie sheet, lining the long sides of the dough up next to each other. Spray with canola oil and cover loosely with plastic wrap and allow to rise for another 45 minutes--they will double in size. About 25 minutes before you are ready to bake, preheat the oven to 375. Bake for 20-25 minutes.


Comments

  1. I recently got a VitaMix and have to say I wonder how I lived without it. I picked mine up on ebay - check it out! I love the lasagna pictures - you are inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The plants (and rolls, of course) look great! I just planted my seeds Wednesday; I can't believe you already have blooms and green tomatoes. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The garden and those rolls look gorgeous! Did not know you had to wait for a roadshow at Costco for a Vita-mix - is that better pricing than through the Vita-mix website?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhhh I'm thinking about a Vita Mix too....I'm trying to decide between that and a big Cuisinart Food Processor (I only have a little 3 cup one, but use it ALL the time).....hmmmmm.....and the lasagna looks good

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi MsMVNJ! I finally did too! Okay so I will certainly be posting my results of the Vita-mix blender here shortly!

    Hi Bonnie! Thanks so much! So you got some seed in the ground--that is great! I am nervous about a few "seeds" which seem to be not loving the SFG soil. So am re-planting this weekend!

    Hi Mihl! Of course I could eat these rolls morning, noon and nite, and see the results in about a week (on my thighs, that is!)! LOL! I take any comment you leave on my "dough" exploits with great pride--many thanks!

    Hi Laura! Thank You! I just went out and bought one at Williams-Sonoma this afternoon. After much research and back and forth, if I did end up at Costco, I believe all things being equal (my getting a membership which I'd never use again)--just did not make sense. So I took this option. Can hardly wait to see how it goes!

    Hi Tanya! Oh-Oh, I might be spoiling this for you--but as you might have already read, just got one today. I also have a Cuisinart Food Processor. But I had to have that creamy consistency for my vegan soups and vegan sauces, it just made sense and will certainly see a lot of use I am sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so excited for you! Enjoy that new Vita-Mix!!! I was thinking the same thing about the Costco membership (I'd never use it again either). Can't wait to see what what you whip up with it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those rolls look great _ I can practically smell them through the photo! I have garden envy - you are going to be one happy woman when those tomatoes come in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That zinnia takes my breath away - gorgeous! And the rolls look like the perfect texture! You're making me hungy. I can't wait to hear about the vita-mix!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your pictures of your garden are great! I just planted my seeds TODAY!
    That little roma looks so happy :)and those buns...I don't bake bread, but looking at those makes me want to try.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment