Vegan Porch Grub: Baked Beans, Apple Sage Sausage, Coleslaw, Etc.

Vegan baked beans. Baked until caramelized, served with my faveorite vegan weekend food stuff!

I couldn't help myself today as I headed out the door with my Whole Foods grocery list in hand. First stop, a five mile run with my 7:00 a.m. running group. I really shouldn't say they are "my" running group yet as I have only made it to three morning runs--the lameness in me prevents my timely arrival at o'dark early--plus there is the entire winter season suffering through SAD--it was tough then, that's all I'm saying. I just am not a morning person. That post yesterday of me in the morning: gone. It just reminds me again of my surliness I tend to have with regard to "mornings"--I'm happy, as long as you don't talk to me. Plus, given my hormone rages and all--my sleep clock has decided that it wants me awake at five in the morning. Lovely. Just lovely. At least I'm asleep by nine thirty most nights. God willing, I stay asleep, too.


So the runners with us today all, well, almost all--had run the big marathon last weekend. This didn't surprise me. Suffice it to say, I had nothing but admonition for the whole affair given the "heat" we were facing during the last leg of the run. Others felt it "wasn't that bad". I look at folks like this with a skeptical eye--why is it I am always the elephant in the room and just say what everyone else thinks? Well, for starters, perhaps my "internal editor" likes to sleep as much as I do.

I ditched the group afterward passing up "not-vegan-friendly breakfast spot" to get started on my weekend errand running--there was much to do. Okay, so tell me this, why can't the Whole Foods I shop at be open at eight in the morning instead of nine? There were three of us gals waiting at the front door--all with lists in hand. And more cars pulling up. One woman declared (and I was sure she, too, has seen her mornings of "sleeping in" dwindle as her age creeps up and little hormone rages take hold--we looked to be the same age--or maybe I was a bit younger), "For crying out loud, the day is half over by nine, they need to get real. Open at eight." I couldn't have agreed with her more.

Walking to my most "fave" vegan fridge section at WF is like walking into this private little "club" domain known only to us vegans. You know what I'm talking about: tempeh, seitan, vegan cheese, vegan mayo, tofu, vegan, vegan, vegan. I just sit and stare sometimes. Maybe someone will come by and want to know what all this "stuff" here is about? Once a woman had a vegan recipe she'd brought in written on a piece of yellow notebook paper. She was quite confused. She stared at the offerings. She shrugged. She sort of saw me out of the corner of her eye, and I sort of saw her, too. Then the question: Can you tell me what the heck "seitan" is and why I need it? And with finger she pointed to the word, for like me and many before her, I pronounced the word likewise: "see-i-taan". I have come so far!

Dinner on the porch was divine! Temps in the upper sixties--a little cool on the toes, but no matter. Just great sitting in a new screened in porch with "outside" food. I really made a simple meal out of it. I grabbed some Field Roast Apple Sage Sausage and wheat buns. Main entree taken care of. Next, at one of my other errand stops, I grabbed a can of veggie baked beans. Now, to most, making a recipe of baked beans out of a can of baked beans may seem redundant, but not to me. Sometimes, I like the ease of popping open a can, whipping up some "added extras" to create a near perfect dish of summer-like baked beans. We loved them! Then, you have your ubiquitous potato salad that is made different every time I attempt a bowl, and your everyday coleslaw--need I say more? For those of you who cannot take your eyes off the vegan baked beans--here's the recipe!

Vegan Baked Beans

1 large can veggie baked beans
1/4 cup minced onion
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons dried mustard
2 teaspoons hot sauce
2 teaspoons curry powder
3 tablespoons molasses (or maple syrup)
3 tablespoons ketchup

Preheat the oven to 350. Lightly spray a casserole dish--a shallow one--with canola oil. In a medium mixing bowl, add all ingredients. Mix well. Pour into baking dish. Bake uncovered for 40 minutes or so. (Until you see that the beans have thickened and they have that gooey stuff on top--but not burnt.) Remove from oven and allow to cool about 15 minutes before serving. Yum!

Comments

  1. Kelly, wow! I had not thought of using the apple sage sausage as a hot dog! Yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Noelle! I had to go with something that would make the hubby happy--he had a baked bean yen and another for hot dogs earlier this week, so I stumbled across this while shopping and thought we'd give it a try. Really cooked up well and I used the leftovers this morning in a breakfast scramble--really Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't Field Roast the best? I had the Italian sausage one last night in a bed of sauteed onion and radicchio in walnut oil. I am with you on not wanting to talk in the morning!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are the Field Roast sausages better than Smart Dogs? I tried those and just couldn't handle them--the texture perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is our kind of food! Looks wonderful! I have a feeling we shop at the same Whole Foods and have wished they would open at eight many a morning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Trixie! I love a like-minded woman with "morning admonition"! But yes, the Field Roast was really yummy!

    Hi Bonnie! I swing with both of those "vegan" dog options. I would have to say, the flavor of the field roast was really good, but that for your basic "hot dog" craving, the other is just as good!

    Hi Laura! That is too funny! I was super woman on Saturday until I arrived there to only find them closed!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment