Vegan Waffle House (And More Vegan MoFo)




Vegan MoFo (October is Vegan Month of Food, for those not-in-the-know)
Reason Numbers 16-18

16. When is it never a good time to eat your veggies?
17. When the cows take over the world--we'll help them with their march.
18. When the chickens decide to revolt--we'll help them with their march.

Chocolate waffles and pumpkin waffles--not combined, just plain chocolate, and then on another Sunday, pumpkin. (Of course, now that I am thinking about it, why not "chocolate pumpkin" waffles? ) Yes, these were as good as they look! Well, I think they look good. I am not much of a breakfast person. I amble around with a half banana smeared with peanut butter and my coffee trying to read the newspaper and waking up. (Yes, we subscribe to a "newspaper" and I quite enjoy my reading of the paper thank you very much.) When you have dogs--and as many as we have, you aren't EVER allowed to sleep in. Ever. Ever. They run with the wolves still, their clocks are on hunt to survive mode, I suppose. My BH (better half) has an appetite right when he wakes up--heads right to the kitchen. Perhaps this is his "hunt and gather" portion turned on. Not me--I just want to survive the morning. So, on the days when he sleeps in and I am up "with the wolves"--I sometimes am motivated to take the extra time to treat us to some delicious breakfast food. A while back I made vegan cinnamon rolls--that was a two-hour ordeal, but worth it when we sat down to eat them at 11:30, but not something I am willing to do often. So, these past few weekends, I experimented with a few recipes. My pumpkin influence comes from Robin Robertson's 1000 Vegan Recipes. The chocolate waffle was influenced by Isa Chandra Maskowitz's Vegan Brunch--I love both of these cookbooks!

If you are new to waffle making--here are a few tips. Buy a waffle maker that has deep indentations. Never overmix your batter--like "barely" mix it with a fork. Try to find a waffle maker that will make at least two waffles. Be sure to follow the manufacturer's directions on timing and temperature. You don't need to go broke getting one either. I bought mine at WM. It was the right price and has worked superbly! I actually prefer a waffle to a pancake any day. You can freeze your leftover waffles and have your own No-Eggo waffle the very next day!

Vegan Pumpkin Waffles

1/4 cup spelt flour
1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tablespoon corn starch
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup soy milk
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1/2 can of pumpkin
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 225. Get a large piece of foil ready to cover the waffles and place on the rack in the warmed oven as you make the waffles. Place the soy milk and 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass measuring cup, mix and set aside. Place the dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl and whisk well to blend the flavors. Now add all of the wet ingredients, stirring with a fork just until incorporated. Don't overmix this. It will look lumpy and that is okay! Set up your waffle maker. I use about a 1/2 cup of mixture per waffle. Follow the directions that came with the waffle maker. It takes my waffles about six minutes to complete. I then place them in the oven straight on the racks and cover with foil.

Vegan Chocolate Waffles

1 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornmeal
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 cups soy milk
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 225. Tear off a large piece of foil to place over the waffles while they are in the oven staying warm as you make your batches. Pour the 2 cups of soy milk and 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar into a bowl and set aside. Place all of the dry ingredients together in a medium mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Add the wet ingredients and mix with a fork just until blended. Do not over mix--a few lumps are okay! Set up your waffle maker and, according to manufacturer's directions, make the waffles. I usually find that about a 1/2 cup of mixture works nicely. I set my timer for six minutes per batch.




Comments

  1. These look so good! Unfortunately I do not own a waffle maker at the moment- but I really have to buy a new one after seeing your beautiful waffles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. my wife and I were just talking about getting a waffle iron...now we have a REALLY good reason. these look delicious. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much! Waffle making is so fun and so rewarding! The best smell in the world filled our home when making the pumpkin waffles. I shopped around for waffle makers--I settled on the one that hurt our wallet the least, which was at WM! It works just fine and is a GE brand.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment