Vegan Cookies Part II: Babycakes Chocolate Chip

I think a true test of any baking cookbook is the outcome of the most basic item--the no-frills, this-one-has-a-familiar-ring goody. In the case of my latest cookbook addition, Babycakes, I took a look at the offerings and decided the first baking order would be to test the chocolate chip cookies. Now, this cookbook is full of vegan (mostly) friendly cookies, cakes, breads and cupcakes. And, as an added bonus, they are gluten-free. I am not a sufferer of gluten intolerance. I can eat wheat with the best of them. But since celiac disease surfaced (like peanut allergies)--it seems gluten-free cooking ingredients have found their way into our mainstream grocer and, thankfully, makes buying for a gluten-free diet very painless. But doing so is expensive. Say you need xanthum gum, for instance. Have you priced this? It is quite expensive. But in Babycakes, the ingredient makes several appearances. So I splurged. I will only share the picture of my outcome. I can assure you these turned out delicious, however, were a bit costly to make but worth it in the end. I would like to re-create my own vegan version, but omit the gluten-free part. I have had many misses with attempting to make the go-to vegan chocolate chip cookie. There are hundreds of them on the Internet and in new vegan cookbooks. I have not created that perfect vegan chocolate chip cookie yet. But trust me, I will keep trying.

Comments

  1. I have the Babycakes cookbook too, but haven't made anything yet. My mom is GF so I better brush up before the holidays!! The cookies look awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I made the Babycakes cornbread last night--it turned out well except the baking time for it was a little short. I needed probably another ten minutes in the oven (even with the knife-in- middle test)--but flavor-wise, it tasted great. I will keep testing and sharing updates! Good baking to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelly, it looks like you did a great job with the Chocolate Chip Cookies! Thank you so much for sharing your results, the photo is lovely too!

    Best Wishes,
    BabyCakes NYC

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much! I am so glad you emailed! I love the cookbook--I really must try to visit you--I hope business is good. I will keep baking my way through your lovely cookbook!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment