Vegan Cinnamon Rolls

Vegan Thyme: Vegan Cinnamon Rolls
I'm not going to lie and say these come together in a "snap"--they don't. However, they are amazing and worth every bit of your precious morning. I had the pleasure of waking at four in the morning because of a thunderstorm and neurotic dogs pawing at us. (Storm anxiety.) Warm cinnamon and vanilla fragrance with yeast is the only aromatherapy this house needs on a rainy Saturday of a holiday weekend. I have several recipes for these rolls. I pretty much know the basics of dough baking, but am still quite intimidated by it. People say that it is very therapeutic to make yeast breads by hand (these are the same people that say gardening is therapeutic--until you live in a clay soil climate, that is--I do love my garden). I have a bread machine with a basic recipe for the dough (The Breadman Bread Machine). It seemed easy and straightforward. However, I am a fan of my food processor, I opted using it--but be careful with the motor. The dough got too large for me, so I had to turn it out onto my counter (with flour to keep it from sticking) for the last four minutes of kneading. I have two additional recipes that intrigued me and inspired me to try these: Vegan Brunch by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and The Joy of Vegan Baking by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau. I pretty much knew what I wanted when I set out to make these--I like a bit of nutmeg and lots of vanilla flavor and a nice carmel coating on the bottom when they are finished baking. Also, you must have a ton of the frosting on hand. I always thought the dough boy was a bit selfish with his portions when we bought the "refrigerated" kind. I also opted to keep the cinnamon flavor out of the dough recipe itself--instead shifting this to the filling. I have several pictures to share. I hope you try this recipe. If not for the love of great mornings, then for the love of a great sugar buzz (plus a cup of coffee on the side)! Now I'm awake!

Vegan Cinnamon Rolls
1 packet active dry yeast
3/4 cup water at 80 degrees (room temp.)
1 teaspoon sugar

In a food processor, combine ingredients. Let sit for about five minutes (the yeast will bubble).
1/3 cup Florida Crystals or plain granulated sugar
1/2 cup soy milk (plain flavor)
1/3 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon salt
3 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour

Add the wet ingredients to the food processor. Then carefully and at half cup increments, add the total amount of flour, and salt pulsing after each addition. Depending upon the size of your food processor, you may have to turn the dough out and knead it on a floured counter a bit longer--I did. My motor started gasping. No biggie--it helped me get the major portion of blending done. I just kneaded it a few more minutes more. Now, take the dough ball and place it in a large, oiled bowl. Turn the dough ball to cover it with oil. Let sit in a warm spot for an hour or more. (Hint: I turn on my oven to 350, let it come to it's full temperature, then I turn it off. I set my bowl with the dough in it, covered with two kitchen towels right in front of the heat vent--thus, ensuring the first rise). It should double, but I usually am not that patient, so when an hour is up, I'm moving on.

After the first rise, punch it down (perhaps this is the therapy part)! Let it rest while you whip up your filling. This to me is the fun part. I took 2 tablespoons of cinnamon, 1 teaspoon nutmeg, 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1/8 teaspoon ginger, 1/4 cup plain sugar, and 2 tablespoons of flour and mixed it well. (Optional: You can increase the brown sugar and add a 1/3 cup of pecans for the "nutty" buns.)

Turn the dough out onto a floured surface. With a floured rolling pin, shape the dough into a longish rectangle--about 20 inches across and 10 inches wide. Spread the filling over this. Dot this with margering or vegan butter--just about a quarter cup's worth. I just dotted it in even spaces all over. Scoop a teaspoon out at a time, then dot, all done. Now, from the long side, carefully roll the roll up. Be slow and steady here, no need to rush! You want all of the filling to stay in place as much as possible. When you come to the end, just close up the dough with a brush of water and seal it. Now you have a long roll. Take a pastry cutter and split the dough in half, then in half again, then in fourths. *I am not a math major, you basically want about 12 or so rolls. Take a sheet of parchment paper and line a cookie sheet. Place the sliced rolls onto the paper kind of close together--not necessarily touching. Cover with a kitchen towel, and again, place near the heat vent of the oven. You can pre-heat now to 375 and let the dough rise a second time--about 30 minutes. The rolls will look puffy after this. Now, it is time to bake! Bake for about 20 minutes--check for the browning--nothing is worse than an over-cooked cinny bun. While the rolls bake, make the icing. I used: 1 cup powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1 tablespoon soy milk--whisk well. I like more of the vanilla flavor, you can omit if you'd like. When the rolls come out of the oven, spread with icing.











Comments

  1. These look super delicious!! I am going to have to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! They were even as delicious the second day (this morning) heated with a damp paper towel in the microwave for 30 seconds or so. Let me know how they turn out for you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment