The Vegan Brownie Chronicles (or how to really get angry in the kitchen)





Okay, so I am now officially NOT baking tonight. There. I spent last night making two more batches of vegan brownies, plus, while I was at it, also tried my hand at my own vegan chocolate chip cookies. I am not a scientist. My subject was English. Numbers, measurements--exact things--making me nuts. So, I am reading this book called, Ratios: The Simple Codes Behind the Craft of Everyday Cooking by Michael Ruhlman. Great read, except for the parts when I have to ask my scientist husband to help me with the math in figuring out the weight measurement conversions into cups and how, BTW, do ratios work--1 part, to two part to three part. What if I know I need only 1 stick of butter for, say, cookies--that is, the ratio for cookies as outlined in the book: 1 part sugar, 2 part fat, 3 part flour. According to Ruhlman (who is very much the trained chef and good with math) this is all you need to know to make ANY cookie. Uh, in case you were wondering, there is no section dedicated to the creation of The Brownie--I looked. However, I am not completely finished, maybe he "briefly notes" something down the line. I have no final recipe to share, just some shots of three very different looking chocolate square delights. Notice the crust in the one, vs. the other. Interesting. Oh, and the cookie--that, too. Oh, and my kitchen, as it looked last night--before I turned everything off and watched Top Chef.

Comments