Animals and Unconditional Love (Dog Fighting Raid Punishment)


This post is not typical of me. I weighed whether or not I should comment. I decided that I should indeed comment--it is a result of my visceral response to what I saw first thing this morning when I opened the paper. I was stopped in my tracks as I looked over the lead story with photo and saw what appeared to be a growling pit bull--baring its teeth, missing part of its nose: Dogs Show Scars from The Ring. No, that is not a growl, that is her face--lips missing as a result of her being a "fight" dog in a dog fighting ring. This summer the Missouri Humane Society along with several other states seized over 400 dogs in one of the country's largest dog fighting ring busts in history. The dogs are being kept in a secret location, being tended to by some very caring folks who I would call saints. I will not print what I feel in my heart should happen to these individuals but rather hope this very public case assists us in passing legislation that puts a stop to the inhumanity of the practice of dog fighting. While we're at it, let's shut down puppy mills as well. I do hope justice prevails for the individuals charged in this heinous act. I do hope that these lovely creatures--those that can be rehabilitated, find loving homes and rediscover hope in their fellow humans.

My girl in this picture is one of the dogs we rescued when, at the time, I was volunteering at the city animal shelter. It was not a good volunteer fit for me: intensely emotional, and always heartbreaking. I could hardly take it. I ended up adding four additional rescues to our home. I had to get a kennel license. I had to stop. But this girl here--she came home with us so battered, so scarred and filthy. I knew from looking at her (and from my time involved with rescues), she had been some sort of bait dog. For those of you unfamiliar, this is that dog who is used to test the "fight" dog's aggression. Not really put in for a fight itself, but rather--baiting. She had teeth marks from the top of her skull to her rear haunches--some were fresh, some were beginning to scar. She was filthy. She had an incredibly awful ear infection. She came home with me. We have loved her unconditionally ever since. She is now our oldest, and our dearest member of the family. She reminds me every day of why I am here--she gives us strength, we call her our Buddha Bear. She made it out of that hell she was in. I cannot volunteer in shelters any longer. It took its toll on me. Instead I help raise money for spaying and neutering through OpSpot (Operation Stop Pet Overpopulation Today--opspot.org)--a wonderful organization.

Below is information to make donations to help with the care of the rescued pit bulls:

TO HELP
Those who wish to donate to the care of the rescued pit bulls, or other animals, are asked to call 314-951-1542 or go to www.hsmo.org/donate.

Animal rescue groups are asked to call 314-802-5712.

To report animal abuse, call 314-647-4400.

Comments