Vegan Zucchini Bread

I swear I only planted three little seeds, dug a little hole in the corner of my little garden. And, from the minute those gigantic leaves started showing up, my zucchini came along at a rate that I can hardly manage--all of this with three seeds! This plant needs very little maintenance--just a spot in the corner somewhere--getting at least six hours of sunshine. That's cool with me because from a high maintenance standpoint--I prefer my veggies to be a little independent. For the past month, I have tried to sneak the vegetable into every meal we have, in some way, shape or form. I can get by with a few tricks, but the most loved use is in bread! I love baking bread--and sharing it, too! I have shredded several bags of zucchini for use this winter--plus I sliced it into 1/2" rounds and froze some that way, too. I figure it is meant to be eaten in large quantities, and that our bodies must require it now more than say, in February--just try finding a good zuke then. So we eat now what we have. This recipe is a moist and a very tasty treat. I used a large zuke--it was about 2 feet long--and yet, had some left over! This bread freezes well, too!

Vegan Zucchini Bread *(makes 3 loaves)
6 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
6 teaspoons cinnamon
6 eggs (use Ener-G Egg Replacer)
3 1/2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups canola oil
5 cups unpeeled zucchini shredded
1 cup mini chocolate chips
5 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 cup of flavored oil (lemon, walnut, orange, hazelnut)

Preheat oven to 350. Spray three large loaf pans (9 x 5 x 3) or 6 small pans. Mix the Ener-G Egg Replacer together with water for the egg amount. Whisk it really well--then set aside. Shred the zucchini and set aside. In a large bowl, sift the dry ingredients together and set aside. In another large bowl, add sugar and oil. Mix well--I use a hand blender for this. Then, add the Ener-G Egg Replacer to this. Add vanilla and zucchini--this time, mix by hand. Scoop the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients about a cup at a time, mixing by hand until incorporated--don't over mix this or the bread will not be moist. Once the dry has been added to wet, fold in the mini chips and the 1/4 cup of your flavored oil. I think it is totally up to you--but my preference is orange. Bake for about 50 minutes--depending upon the heat of your oven. Test doneness of bread by sticking the tip of a knife all the way in--if it comes out clean, you can call that done--if it has a bit of crumb on it--even better--remove it then. I like a little crumb to stick to the knife--makes a moist loaf. Let cool then turn out of pan and wrap it and keep it in the fridge or freeze.

Comments