Vegan Mock Chicken Pot Pie


I had a chance to visit Amish country in Indiana when I was young--more than once. My mom loved the Amish, their lifestyle, their traditions and their recipes. I inherited several of her Amish cookbooks--in particular, Marcia Adams, who is well known for her appreciation of the Midwest as well as for her Amish cooking recipes she shares. If you're reading this and freaking out because I mentioned one of the most meat-laden cooking traditions in the country--well, you need to simmer down because this is about keeping traditions sans the meat. Good food is good food. Period. You know what I'm talking about, too. Sometimes it takes more than a village to feed a vegan. I am a Midwest girl. I was raised on lots of things that I would not eat today--i.e., pork steaks. However, I also know that it is just fine to still yearn for some comfort foods--and I do! I cannot live on bean sprouts alone! So, here we have a new creation. A wonderful, homey food derived from the old cooking school, but given a new twist to meet my current vegan life.
As you know, most would make a pot pie with a shredded rotisserie chicken--obviously, not here. I really wanted a flavorful protein to add to my pot pie: tempeh. What I remember about pot pies was that there was generally two schools of thought when I ate them as a kid. One was the runny, bland, flour-water tasting pie. The other was a thick, raw-veggie tasting with too many diced carrots undercooked variety. I wanted none of that. I roasted half of my vegetables to enhance the flavor of the baked pie. Many recipes will have you saute the veggies, then plop into the casserole. I think a bit more prep on the front end offers a much more flavored pot pie, melding several layers of textures, and slightly seasoned (the roasting offers a whole range of flavoring in and of itself). This would be a great Sunday dinner! Or a great weeknight dinner with a bit of forethought. It was wonderful! We both enjoyed this meal immensely!
Vegan Mock Chicken Pot Pie
1 package of tempeh
1 roll of Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry thawed
4 cups water or half veggie stock and water
1 large onion--half of it diced, half of it chopped
2 carrots sliced on the diagonal
2 cloves of garlic peeled and left whole
2 yukon gold potatoes chopped
1 red pepper chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon Spike or Mrs. Dash
Braggs Liquid Amino Acid
hot sauce
fresh ground pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 celery stalks sliced thin
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup sliced portobello mushrooms
1/3 cup white cooking wine
3 tablespoons flour
1 cup soy creamer
2 cups unsweetened soy milk
fresh ground pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon tarragon

Unwrap a single puff pastry and thaw according to package directions. Slice the tempeh in half and then into 1/2 inch lengths. Place tempeh in pot of water and bring to a boil--then reduce heat to medium boil for about 15 minutes. Drain and slice into 1/4 in cubes--place into a bowl and sprinkle a bit of Braggs Liquid Amino Acid on it, a shake of bit of hot sauce over it and then add 2 tablespoons of canola oil--cover and shake well, set aside. Preheat oven to 425. Oil a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Place the chopped vegetables (red pepper, potato, 1/2 diced onion, garlic) in a large bowl. Add olive oil and seasonings and toss to coat. Place vegetables on baking sheet and roast for 25 minutes.

Meanwhile, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and add the other half of the onion, celery, and saute for 5 minutes. Then add portobello mushrooms and diced tempeh and saute for about 5 minutes. Add the frozen peas. Next, add the cooking wine, soy creamer, soy milk and flour and seasonings. Stir and bring to a medium high heat, and the mixture should begin to thicken--in about 3 minutes. Add the roasted vegetables to this mixture and toss well to coat. If the mixture seems too thick and needs more milk, add in small increments--according to your own liking. But don't let it be too "wet" when you pour it into the casserole dish. Unroll the puff pastry and lay over the veggies--slice several holes into the top--about four lines to let steam escape during baking. Brush the pastry with a bit of soy milk. Bake for 35 minutes. Remove and let cool for about 10-15 minutes. Scoop out with spoon and serve--be sure to give each plate some of that yummy puff pastry!

Comments

  1. this looks amazing! but i'm not a big fan of tempeh..do you think i could get away with using seitan or gardein chicken?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!
    Yes, I think that would be fine--I know not everyone is a fan of tempeh, and some days, I am not either. Try cooking whatever you decide to use first--giving it a bit more flavor and heft in the recipe. If you try it, let me know how it works for you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment