Risotto Vegan Crab Cakes and Arugula Salad



I have a new friend--expanded cable tv! Welcome to the world! When you sign up for cable of any kind they ask what channel you are interested in? I said, Food Network, and PBS Create, oh and Syfy (for hubby). Now, if we could stay with just those, we'd be set. You can't. We have all of the 100s and some other stuff that I have yet to explore. But yesterday I caught a Barefoot Contessa episode (she is just great--heavy on the meat, but she has a lot to offer)--she made "chive risotto cakes". Looked yummy, but would not be enough for a good dinner. So, I got to thinking about what might make this more filling. Hello crab cakes! I spent a good deal of time in Baltimore and Boston in my previous life. I ate my share of crab cakes--it was inevitable and with a Legal Seafood on every corner, you could hardly NOT (I was not vegan at the time). I loved them! I love this new version I created. I also have an invasion of arugula in my garden--this has got to be the easiest leaf lettuce to grow in the world! I started it from seed, too. It just does not quit--like Swiss chard and my zucchini.

Risotto Vegan Crab Cakes
3 cups water
1 cup aborio rice
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon olive oil

Cook rice in water for 20 minutes--medium heat--stir occasionally, rinse under cold water. Set aside.

Veggie Mix
3 tablespoons safflower or olive oil
1/2 of small onion diced
1/4 cup celery diced
1/4 cup carrot diced
1/4 cup red pepper diced
2 cloves garlic minced or chopped
1 1/2 teaspoon
Ener-G Egg Replacer
2 tablespoons warm water
1 sheet Nori Sushi crumbled
1 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
1/3 cup vegan mayo
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
dash of cayenne

Heat oil in small pan. Add onions, celery, carrots, garlic and mix well cooking for about three minutes (don't over cook!). Place the cooked rice in a large bowl. Whisk 1 1/2 teaspoon of Ener-G Egg Replacer with 2 tablespoons of warm water--set aside. Take cooked veggie mixture and add to cooked rice. Add crumbled sushi roll and remaining ingredients. Mix well and refrigerate for up to an hour--the longer, the better.
Simple Sauce
2 tablespoons lemon juice
3 tablespoons vegan mayo
2 teaspoons hot sauce
2 teaspoons wasabi mustard
chopped chives
Whisk all ingredients well--taste for heat. Add more hot sauce or cayenne if needed.

Chopped Arugula Salad and Basil Pesto
2 cups basil leaves
1/4 cup pine nuts
2 large cloves garlic
juice of 1 lemon
1/4 cup olive oil plus 1 tablespoon drizzled in
2 teaspoons red wine vinegar or white balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
1 tomato sliced
1 jar artichokes

Place basil, pine nuts, garlic, lemon juice and olive oil in food processor and blend until nearly smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste. Rinse arugula leaves under water, and use a salad spinner to dry. Spread some leaves out on a plate, adding artichokes and tomatoes. Drizzle the pesto over the plate, plus a drizzle of olive oil.

Comments