My Grandmother's Muzetti Casserole



I started reminiscing about my grandmother's cooking and had a craving for her pasta dish: Muzetti. Now, I can't tell you whether or not this is a real Italian name or if it was mis-heard by me as a child, or what--for now, we are going with this. My grandma could cook! She was widowed at a young age and left alone to raise my mother (an only child, and sadly, no longer with us today--I really miss her, so don't let me start). So, my grandma was what we might call a socialite today: she held a membership at a country club, belonged to a bridge club, was a grade school teacher--and traveled across the ocean to places like Ireland (I have a picture of her kissing the Blarney Stone!), Wales and England. She helped raise me, greatly influenced me and was incredibly smart and sophisticated. I always remember her with a book in one hand, and a martini in the other, (cigarette burning in the ashtray--I had dibs on the olives). This, like so many dishes back "then" were baked in the oven. And, to get the right flavor and texture, really, in some instances, over baked. This is as close to her dish as I will get (leaving out the chopped red stuff). I think this tastes as good cold as it does warm. My husband and I both enjoyed second helpings.

For really enhancing the flavor, try to hit your farmer's market to get your hands on some really fresh peppers. I stumbled upon "gypsy" peppers this summer and fell in love with them! They are just perfect and have a bit of a pepper kick, too--not hot, just "pepper". I have a picture of them for you.

My Grandmother's Vegan Muzetti

3/4 of a package of shell pastStart pasta cooking, don't over cook as it will be in the oven baking for a bit. Boil for about 6-8 minutes. Drain and set aside.
Marinara
1/2 red onion sliced
4 cloves garlic crushed
3 bunches of fresh basil chopped
3 stems of fresh oregano chopped
1/4 cup olive oil plus a bit more if needed
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 cans of chopped tomatoes
2 tablespoons maple syrup
dash of salt and pepper
dash of onion powder
dash of garlic powder
*Optional--3/4 cup soy creamer

Saute the onions and garlic in the oil for about 3 minutes. Add the basil and oregano, vinegar and tomatoes and syrup. Stir well. Set on medium heat and stir every now and then for a total of 40 minutes. Just let the flavors meld and the sauce to thicken a bit. Set aside. Always taste as you go--get the wooden spoon out!

Cooked Veggies

3 tablespoons olive oil
3 gypsy peppers or green bell peppers sliced long
1/2 red onion sliced
3 cloves garlic chopped
1 small can of black olives
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup diced zucchini
2 cups portobello mushrooms sliced thin
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup shredded vegan cheese (I used mozzarella flavor)

Preheat oven to 375. Oil a 9 x 13 baking dish. Saute the onions and garlic for about 3 minutes, then add the peppers and zucchini--saute additionally 5 minutes. Add the olives and peas cook for a few more minutes. Meanwhile, slice the mushrooms and place in a small skillet with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and saute for about ten minutes. (I cooked these separate to keep their flavor and shape in tact, then added them to the toss as I added the cooked veggies.) Place the drained pasta in a large bowl. *Optional--you can now add about a 3/4 cup of soy creamer to the marinara giving this dish a bit of a creamy texture. Add the cooked marinara--toss well to coat. Then add the cooked veggies, stirring well. Pour into baking dish. Spread bread crumbs and cheese over the top. Bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes--check it as it gets closer to the end. Your call, but I like to have a few pieces of the pasta browned on top. Remove from oven and let cool for about ten minutes and serve!












Comments