Match Meats Vegan Meatloaf and Mashers with Green Beans

I had to have something comforting. Food like this is called for when the days are getting a bit shorter, when your green beans are coming in and you know once the last bean is plucked, winds will pick up and the work in the garden will slowly subside. I will go through a brief period of mourning--very brief, because at about the time my gardening chores dwindle, I will have a fire in the fireplace, yarn on my needles, and hot chocolate before bed--a perfect evening. So, I had been craving the comfort side. Now, like many vegans, I struggle to re-create the meals most missed--not the "meat" part, but the soul-satisfying good grub that were simple, yet very sublime in their reward. I have tried maybe a dozen "vegan" loaf recipes--oats and rice, beans and rice and oats, bread and beans and oats. . . etc.--the list can go on and on. My local Match Meats company has Match Beef--it worked beautifully! You can get this product at Dierberg's or Whole Foods. My husband was won over--this is a recipe you can re-create quite easily. I won't give up on the creative side of trying different sorts of "loaf" iterations, however, for my go-to one, this is it!

Match Meats Vegan Meatloaf
2 tablespoons olive oil or safflower oil
1/2 onion diced
1 medium green pepper diced
2 cloves of garlic minced
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon marjoram
1 teaspoon Spike or Mrs. Dash
fresh ground pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
dash of hot sauce
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

Glaze
1/2 cup ketchup
3 tablespoon brown sugar
dash of hot sauce

Preheat oven to 350. Take a cookie sheet or baking sheet and line with parchment paper. Thaw the Match Meat Beef package out. Then place in a bowl. Mash it up a bit to loosen the product. Heat 2 T. of oil in a medium pan. Add onions, garlic, pepper and saute for about three minutes. (Still want them crispy). Then add veggies to bowl with Match Meats. Mix well. Then add the seasonings. (You may want to add a teaspoon of oil to the mixture). Take and place on baking sheet, forming a loaf. Spread the glaze over and bake uncovered for about 30 minutes. let cool for about 5 minutes, then slice and serve!




Comments