Amaranth Ginger Shortbread Cookies


Maybe the power going out yesterday left me yearning for my oven--for something fragrant, sweet and warm, oh and my cookie cutters! Amaranth. New to me. Probably new to a lot of people. However, after baking these--this new ground grain is a wonderful addition to my home--the scent wafting through the house while these cookies baked was very woody and crisp. My research on amaranth has said that it adds protein to baked goods--about 4 grams, that you can add it to most baked goods in 1/4 cup increments--(not allowing it to overpower) plus note that it has no gluten. So, I made some really good cookies tonight--I taste-tested four of them! These lovely gems were inspired by: Super Natural Cooking by Heidi Swanson (I want to ask her if she is related to the Swanson TV dinner dynasty!). I will be taking a cooking class over the weekend re-creating several of her recipes--I can hardly wait! A cup of soy milk with these nicely rounds out the flavor and makes your tummy feel good!

Amaranth Ginger Shortbread Cookies
1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 cup amaranth flour
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 cup unsalted butter (Earth Balance sticks)
2/3 cup Florida Crystals Sugar
1/3 cup crystallized ginger minced

Pick out the cookie-cutter shape you want! In a food processor, cream the butter with the sugar. Put dry ingredients into a bowl and whisk. Then add the dry ingredients to the butter and sugar, pulse a few times--don't over mix, just use the pulse button. Then add the crystallized ginger, pulse a few more times. Shape the dough into a disc, place in fridge for about 15 minutes. Meantime, preheat oven to 350. Place parchment paper on a cookie sheet. Roll out dough into about 1/4" thick--cut into the shape you desire--or use a round tea cup to cut out circles. Place the cut-outs in the freezer for about 10 minutes. Remove and bake for 10 minutes--until cookie browns a bit. Remove from oven, let sit for 2 minutes, then place on a cooling rack.

Comments