Vegan Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies


So many chocolate chip cookie recipes and so little time! I have been baking chocolate chip cookies since Tollhouse was a baby. So, let's get down to the facts about baking vegan cookies. You can really mess up on vegan cookie baking. Cookies are a rare, beloved breed of baking--vegan or not. We've all seen co-workers bring trays of cookies into the break room only to look disbelievingly at the plate and think: 1) Did she forget to register at Target--where did that dish come from, and 2) What is that shiny middle going to taste like? --but taste we do, as anyone who looks at a cookie will tell you, it's like looking at a box of chocolates--you just have to have one! This is my third recipe of chocolate chip cookies I've made this month. I like the chewy, not hard cookies. I like them to retain their chewiness the following day--and later on, as well. And dunkability is important--I like to dunk my cookies with soy or rice milk while watching our latest DVD addiction (like we are now on season two of Mad Men). Enjoy!

3/4 cup granulated sugar (try Florida Crystals)
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
14 tablespoons of Earth Balance or other veggie spread sticks
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 eggs (3 teaspoons of Ener-G Egg Replacer with 4 tablespoons of warm water)
2 1/4 cup unbleached flour
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350. With vegan baking it is essential to have your oven temperature as accurate as possible. They are like eight dollars. (I discovered my "new" oven was off by ten degrees, so I preheat mine to 360. Knowing this has saved me countless tears!) Prep two cookies sheets with parchment paper to fit--parchment is my best friend in baking--you'll like her, too! Just lay the sheet across to just fit the cookie sheet you are using, and rip off and lay on the cookie sheet face down so the paper doesn't curl up on you.

Now, prep your Egg Replacer. I use a whisk and a small bowl and vigorously stir the water into the powder until the replacer looks foamy--taking an extra minute to do this saves you more tears, trust me!). Using a food processor (I like time saving--especially at 6 in the evening when I really crave sweets)--add the Earth Balance pieces, then pulse a few times. Add both sugars. Pulse 4-6 times, the let her run for a half minute or so--the fluffy factor should now be evident. Then add your Egg Replacer and vanilla. Pulse a few more times, then let her whirl for another half minute--it should be quite a bit more smooth looking. In a medium sized bowl, add the flour, baking soda and sea salt. Use a fork and mix this dry mixture well. Then, take the wet ingredients from food processor and add to the dry. I know folks will tell you to add the dry to wet, you have to pick your battles. I just add it to the dry in this case. Important to NOT over mix cookie dough, so that hand blender should not be near you right now. And do not be tempted to add the dry mix into the food processor, you will have cookie logs--it's chemistry--more later. Okay, so mix by hand--just until incorporated. Now fold in the chips. If you use larger chocolate chips, use maybe a cup of chips--your call, your preference. Drop by tablespoon full onto the parchment paper about 2 inches apart. Bake for around 9 minutes--watch them. I rotate my cookie sheets half way through their baking time. Remove from oven and let sit on cookie sheets for two minutes. Remove from cookie sheet onto a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container for up to a week. If you take to work, check the display factor first!

Comments