Canning the Harvest

Well, it's here. Canning season. I know, I know, most who read this know that I am more a city-gal in country sheep's clothing, sitting here in my semi-rural digs. But I cannot resist the temptation for canning. I love the idea of sharing and enjoying this summer's bounty throughout the fall and winter months. Now, the question is, well. . . just how much does a two-member household need? The answer: as much as I feel like. There is no science to how much. The "science" to this is found in the pages of the Ball Canning Blue Book. I was let in on this secret at my recent canning and preserving class. I just finished prepping my veggies for my first batch today--'ancho chile salsa'. The large pot of vegetables--garlic, onions, peppers, tomatoes, cilantro and chiles--cooking is sending aromas through the house that make my mouth water. Here are the photos of my process so far!

Comments