Vegan Whole Grain Chocolate Chip Rosemary Pecan Cookies (September flew by. . .Milestones and Knitting Markers)

I bake a batch of these rosemary cookies at least once a month--when I remember to trim my rosemary. The cookies are delicious, aromatic and, of course, filled with chocolate. Lately it's been all I can do to keep up with my garden. The late summer heat wreaked havoc on everything from the tomatoes, to the lawn to even the oregano--which tolerates everything. While I was doing some container plant housekeeping I discovered hidden underneath some erstwhile yellow pear tomato plants a little bush of rosemary I had tucked into a container as companion plant with thyme and lemon balm. After trimming back the vines, here was this gorgeous, full rosemary plant flourishing. I pinched off a stem and inhaled the piney aroma. I had to bake something with this now. 


I always grow rosemary during summer. In the past, my plants have survived. Lately, I get them for one summer, then end up having to hunt down new plants in the spring. It's a shame because I would love to have a hedgerow of rosemary in the garden. Alas, it's not to be. 

Before I share the recipe for the cookies, let me give you some background about the origin of the cookie. It comes from one of these cookbooks lining my shelf: Isa Does It by Isa Chandra Moskowitz.
By far, one of my most cherished vegan cookbooks. But tucked in the back of the book, in the dessert section, was a rosemary chocolate chip cookie recipe. I remember that being the first recipe I tried. And every other recipe since--and we're talking probably once a week I turn to the book for inspiration, I find delicious vegan eats. But this cookie! My adaptation is below. It's completely worth the splurge for some rosemary if you find yourself out of it. Don't even think about using dry.  
I cannot believe we're almost out of September. A lot happens in September. A lot of personal milestones for me, too. I find it a bit overwhelming quite honestly. But I always somehow come out at the end of the month feeling like we've gotten to October and now, deep breath and okay. . .
the next three months will be a blur. 

Yesterday Dr. Thyme and I hiked around Creve Coeur Lake in St. Louis. The hike would have been a simple 3.75 miles. All pavement. No biggie. 
Except we got lost. Don't ask me how. It defies rationality. Thank god for his smartphone app and the find my car point on Google Maps. 
Technically, we hiked over six miles. Which is a 10k walk. Which is fine, except neither one of us were prepared for it. Which meant for some very thirsty, hungry, need to use the facilities NOW sort of moments at the end. 
I love getting old. LOVE it.
Yup. We're lost. And a little sunburnt. Wearing our look-alike David Bowie t-shirts. 
Meanwhile, in the back yard. The Monarch butterflies have arrived, or maybe they're passing through. 
I love them dearly and look for them every time I hike through the woods. 
At the lake yesterday. Beautiful, overcast. Perfect.
I took a brief hiatus from knitting when we had the miserable ninety degree weather. 
I guess I'm a fall/winter/spring knitter. 
Well, I think I might be able to finish my Hitofude cardigan. I am almost finished with my first repeat on the bottom. Two more to go.
During the course of my knitting and counting and watching my markers, I somehow dropped a stitch. 
Oh the horrors!
I was royally pissed about it being that it was like twelve rows back. 
No way in hell am I ripping this damn thing back. I'll fix it after I bind off this effing thing. 
*I do love it. It will be easier to love once it's off the needles and on my shoulders.
I am sort of in a love hate with my Stephen West Exploration Station shawl.
There is a section of brioche knitting ahead of me in the pattern. 
I have never 'brioched' before. So this should be fun!
Our baby girl Francine is just so precious we can't stand it. Celebrating the Pope being in the country because she is, after all, named after him. 
(Which keeps her in our good graces despite the holy terror she has reigned upon this house.)
There is nothing she won't put into that mouth of hers.
 At fourteen months, we keep wondering: when will she grow up and act like the Great Pyrenees she is supposed to be? 
Her big sister wants to know, too. 

Vegan Whole Grain Chocolate Chip Rosemary Pecan Cookies
*adapted from Isa Does It
makes about 18 cookies

1 cup spelt flour
1/3 cup unbleached all purpose flour
2 tablespoons finely chopped pecans
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup coconut oil
2 stems of fresh rosemary about 3" long--chopped 
1/3 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/4 cup plus two tablespoons almond milk
1 tablespoon ground golden flaxseed
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350. In a small bowl, sift together the dry ingredients: flours, baking soda, salt and pecans. Set aside. In a medium mixing bowl, add the oil, rosemary, sugars flax, vanilla extracts and mix well. Add the almond milk and mix until blended. Add the dry ingredients and chocolate chips to the wet and stir with a spoon until a soft dough forms. Place in fridge for about thirty minutes. Remove and using a cookie scoop, place cookies on baking sheet about 2 inches apart--they will spread a bit. Bake 10-12 minutes. Remove from oven and cool. Enjoy!








Comments