Like A Bridge over Water with Trouble

Week two. Today Frankie and I and her sister went to the park. And Frankie saw her very first bridge, and her very first creek. Will the wonders never cease? She was absorbed by this bubbling brook and this wooden structure prohibiting her from cascading head first into that funny looking clear stuff. It was precious. However, last night, anything but "precious" came to mind. 


Think Nightmare on Elm Street meets Exorcist meets The Shining. Okay. Maybe not The Shining. But still.  

Okay. Deep breath. Still have sanity (I think). Still have puppy. Still not sleeping through the night. But things are getting better. . . I think. Last night was a tipping point. But perhaps my lack of sleep contributed to the "meltdown". I called the breeder. 

"I don't know, I mean, I don't know what to do." Through sobs. (And it was eight at night. So I'd been through the worst of it by this time.) Ready to admit we had made a mistake. We had no idea. We are sorry. We just can't. I just can't be bitten. . . again.

"Tell me what happened." Tenderly and with the most caring attitude--she genuinely wanted to know what had transpired.

"She won't keep her mouth off of ANYTHING. . . hands, pants, floor, her sissy, shoes, sofa, ME. And, she seems to really be growling at ME. But then. . . there are moments of sheer happiness and pure puppy joy. I don't know what we're doing wrong."

"This is puppy behavior and it won't last forever. It gets better. Trust me. All of this is what every puppy goes through. How long has it been since you last had a puppy?" 

"Years. Decades. I have no recollection of any of this happening." (Selective memory?)

Then the breeder and I discussed (she helping to give me perspective, especially on the Pyr traits--stubborn, super smart and not your average dog, along with tips for helping us get through this puppy nipping stage), and DH and I listening intently, nodding our heads and feeling some relief at these common and well-known puppy-isms. But things which neither one of us can recall EVER having had to deal with in canines past. We are both, after all, older. Perhaps our memories have erased the daunting, trying and nerve wracking dog-raising moments. Neither one of us can recall.   
This morning was a new day.
And then there's big sissy. Maybe a little tired, but so, so helpful. 
Keeping things positive and keeping things in perspective. 
Next week we begin Puppy Kindergarten.



Comments