Vegan Green Tiredness-Be-Gone Smoothie (A little bit of everything today. . .and some knitting from my Yarnbox, too!)

Vegan Thyme  -  Tiredness-Be-Gone Smoothie :)
I find my best smoothie recipes are those that have no recipe. Usually I have a craving for something packed with flavor and protein. I had just finished a four-miler on the treadmill and was famished. After dawdling around a bit afterward, I still felt tired. Usually my runs give me an energy boost. But given I am head-long into my mid-life "woman time" and have had a few horrible nights of sleep (which can make me cray-cray), I thought I might try a little less in the tummy today--go light on lunch and again at dinner--hoping to catch up on some much needed "good" sleep tonight. Well, smoothie was a success. Not only did it kick up my energy level, I was able to manage a yoga session after a house cleaning blitz whereupon I found myself "doing windows". And. . . I don't DO windows.

Here's what I put into my TBG smoothie: 
5 kale leaves
1 carrot
1/2 apple
1/2 avacado
1/2 banana
4 strawberries
1 tablespoon almond butter
1 tablespoon soy protein powder
1 tablespoon chia seeds
4 ice cubes
1 cup water
And placed all of this in my blender (a Vitamix) and viola! This makes enough for two people. 
In an attempt to capture some of spring for you, I headed out to the garden. Some of the tulips have come and gone already, and all of the daffodils are spent as well. 
My herb beds took this winter in stride. Look at this tarragon. If ever there was a friendly herb, it's tarragon. It can reach up to four feet in height. I've been using it in everything: mashed potatoes, with sauteed asparagus, in pasta--you name it.
These are the flower clusters from our purple sand cherry trees. They are pitiful come fall--literally. But right now, they are in their most glorious stage. It's not a fruiting tree, it's an ornamental. I planted it mostly for its red foliage. 
Can  you say "divide and conquer" oregano? Holy crap this plant is everywhere in my yard. It's as if it had little legs and decided to put itself in spots all over the yard--perhaps to show the grass who's boss. And it has! I love oregano as much as the next person, but please. 
My lovely sage survived the winter, too. I trimmed all of my beds to the best of my ability before the flush of leaves began. I'm happy I did--though it was a fairly back breaking endeavor if I don't say so myself. 
This is the Summer Flies shawl pattern I just about have completed--I still need to block it. It's Holiday Yarns Flocksock Sock Yarn. Totally my color! I was smitten with this yarn but also concerned about the drape a sock yarn would have in such a lovely shawl pattern. I am quite pleased with how this turned out. The story of the yarn comes by way of Yarnbox. . .

Last fall Dr. Thyme gifted me a Yarnbox subscription--and every month I get surprise yarn in the mail--all for myself and my crazy knitterly side. There has only been one month's yarn for which I was left to wonder what in the world I would do with a sherbert/cream/pink semi-chunky/silky hand spun yarn. But that moment was brief and before you knew it, I had a lovely cowl in my hands. Seriously. Love. Yarnbox.
Our family headed out on Easter Sunday for a stroll through the park. We took the kids and I had on my Easter Bonnet, i.e., Wrinkle-Be-Gone protection. It is absolutely one of the most beautiful springs ever right now. 
Dr. Thyme with the other kid and in the background are the blooms of the Red Bud trees. Stunning color.


















Comments