Vegan Chocolate Hazelnut Sesame Bars (Italian Cookie Baking for Christmas Begins. . . and Ankle Boot "Nemesis" Update)

Vegan Thyme: Vegan Chocolate Hazelnut Sesame Bars (Italian Cookie Baking for Christmas Begins. . . and Ankle Boot "Nemesis" Update)
Right before I broke my ankle, I'd been on a quest to expand my collection of Italian Christmas cookie recipes. I love Italian cookies. (Thank you "genetics" on my biological father's side: Italian baking suits me.) They have more heft than the usual cookie affair of other European descent. What do I mean by "heft". Well, take the biscotti. Heft, no? Dunkable, crunchy, long shelf life. If you handed me an almond finger cookie--a delicious Italian, crumbly cookie in its own right--and a chocolate chip cookie--good old American fare--it'd be no contest, I'd take the almond finger cookie every time. I know that smacks in the face my professed love of chocolate, but I do have other applications for which chocolate prevails. 


Baking an Italian cookie is usually no big production. A few simple ingredients and viola, you have cookies. Shape plays a big role in the outcome--so you get a nice lesson in geometry when creating an Italian cookie tray. My current circumstances notwithstanding, my baking love has not been swayed. Oh, there will be baking, one foot at a time.
This cookie was a complete winner on all fronts. First, it's so simple to throw together, I actually made a batch while also preparing dinner. (BAB--before ankle break.) You'll need a small saucepan and a food processor to make things go smoothly. This would be the perfect cookie to whip up to take along to your obligatory family dysfunctions this season. It stores beautifully. It's crunchy, yet filled with a yummy chocolate-y middle that holds up well in each bite. It's baked in an eight inch square pan. It can be altered to suit your nut desires, but do not skimp on the use of sesame seeds--these are big players in the Italian cookie world. I can't get enough of them. Even DH who usually eschews nuts declared these delicious. Dare I say it's the Italian love that makes all the difference?

I altered the recipe for this version because I adore hazelnuts. Once the cookies have cooled in the pan, cut them into single serving sizes, store at room temperature in an airtight container. I kept mine under my cake keeper--a week or two later, and they are still superb. You could also make them now and freeze for later.  

Update on my ankle: I hate "the boot". It is my nemesis. I hate it. It hates me. During the night I wake up two and three times, all itchy and hot. In the morning, it's like a dead sea creature hanging on my lower leg. My left foot feels lonely and abandoned. She yearns for the stability her right foot afforded her. My life is a scattering of single socks and single shoes. One shoe is wearing down more than the other, it will put me all off kilter once the two-shoe wearing resumes. This broken ankle life is not for the faint of heart. I will be stronger in the end. I know. But until then, the boot mocks me.   

Vegan Chocolate Hazelnut Sesame Bars 
*Adapted from, Sweet Maria's Italian Cookie Tray by Maria Bruscino Sanchez

For Filling

6 oz. semisweet chocolate chips (I used Ghiradelli)
2 tablespoons vegan cream cheese
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon vegan creamer
1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts (I pulsed mine in the food processor a few times)
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
1/2 teaspoon almond extract

For Crust

1 1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4 cup spelt flour (*you could use all unbleached AP flour--but I like spelt flour)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons Earth Balance vegan butter, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon ground flax seed mixed with 2 tablespoons water (subbing for 1 egg)

Preheat oven to 375. Lightly spray 8" square baking pan, set aside. Make the filling first. In a small saucepan, combine the chocolate, cream cheese and creamer together on LOW heat, stirring constantly to keep the chocolate from seizing up. Once all chocolate is melted and you have a smooth consistency, remove from heat. Add sesame seeds, hazelnuts and almond extract--it will smell amazing--and taste testing is allowed, just save some for the cookie middle! Set aside. Prepare the crust by placing flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a food processor, then the flax seed mixture, then add a tablespoon of the butter at a time, pulsing once or twice after each addition of butter until you get a crumbly, pea-sized consistency. It will appear a bit dry, but that's okay. Reserve half the mixture in a bowl. Press the second half along the bottom of the pan and up the sides just a bit. Now spread the chocolate mixture over the crust. Then with the remaining crumbs, sprinkle it over the chocolate. Press down on the crumbs slightly. Bake for 25 minutes or until the top of the crust begins to brown slightly around the edges. Remove from oven and allow cookie to cool completely before slicing into individual pieces. Remove from pan and store in airtight container for up to two weeks.    



Comments